GO!

DAPP Vaccination?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 8:22pm PST 
Hello again,

So I was going to be able to take some free classes at Pet Smart for Bella (The only real place I have found in my area for training) However the letter I got says they MUST get a DAPP vaccination. I don't really know what this is, however I've got a huge fear of getting her any vaccinations. The only thing she's been getting is rabies, and I really don't want to do anymore vaccinations (I even hate having to get her rabies) But I also think this training class would be a good thing for us.

Any info on what the DAPP is? Is it ok to get her as a one time thing? Any opinions on if I should go for it or not?

Thanks!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 10:16pm PST 
Distemper, Adenovirus, Parainfluenza, and Parvovirus.

You'll find the whole range of opinions when it comes to vaccinations from none, to minimal, to yearly, and everything in between. It's unlikely she'd have any negative effects from receiving a DAPP, and if she's never been vaccinated for parvo/distemper it would probably be a good idea, but there's always a chance of side effects.

Ultimately you'll need to research and decide what you're comfortable with. None of the classes I've taken with my dog required proof of any vaccinations, but I've never taken from a big box store. You could try asking at your vet, local doggie daycare, the dog park, ect. and see if you could find a trainer that way. Or you may need to expand your search.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 5:27am PST 
You might be able to order these vaccines separately and have them given that way, I'm not sure. I know I have had the parvo vacc given separately. Some consider this a preferable and safer way of giving vaccines.
[notify]

Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 1:47am PST 
Vaccines can be very confusing, can't they? Get your pup in for a checkup with the vet and they will tell you what you need. There is DAPP and DHPP. DHPP is distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza, and parvovirus. Then there is the rabies vaccine and leptospirosis vaccine. Leptospirosis attacks a dog's liver. It can be passed from dog to dog. Dogs also need a bordatella vaccine. Bordatella (kennel cough) can be very severe. All boarding kennels require it. I recommend your dog receive the DAPP yearly, rabies every three years, bordatella every six months, and leptospirosis yearly. If you have cats, I recommen the feline leukemia vaccine. Cats need the FVRCP vaccine yearly, rabies every three years, and feline leukemia once a year. House and barn cats differ in what vaccines they need.
[notify]
Baron

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 10:33am PST 
Distemper
The letter "D" in DHLPP stands for distemper, which is a highly contagious viral disease that can affect multiple organs including the brain, skin, eyes, intestinal and respiratory tracts of dogs. It can be transmitted through the bodily fluids of infected animals, including respiratory secretions. Due to its airborne nature, the virus can quickly infect dog populations in kennels or breeding facilities. The widespread use of the vaccine has contributed to a significant decline in the incidence of distemper infection throughout the United States.

Hepatitis
Infectious Canine Hepatitis, or Canine Adenovirus Type 1, is primarily a disease of the liver transmitted through the bodily fluids of infected animals. The corneas of infected animals may appear cloudy or bluish, leading to the expression "hepatitis blue-eye" used to describe the unfortunate dog. Although there is no treatment for an infected dog, the disease can be prevented though routine DHLPP vaccinations.

Leptospirosis
The "L" in DHLPP stands for leptospirosis, a disease with numerous strains affecting a variety of species including humans. The vaccine commonly administered as part of a dog's DHLPP shot inoculates against the canicola and icterohaemorrhagiae varieties, but other strains may still affect the dog. The bacteria enters the animal through the mucus membranes or open wounds, and can result in high fever, vomiting and dehydration. Unfortunately, some dogs can have a severe allergic reaction to this component of the DHLPP vaccine. Small breeds especially. Transmitted to dogs from small wild animals.

Parvo
Parvovirus is a common and often deadly disease of the gastrointestinal tract seen most frequently in unvaccinated puppies. The highly contagious virus is spread through contaminated stool, or through contact with an environment in which the virus is present. Symptoms include loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting and severe, malodorous diarrhea. The DHLPP vaccination is the most effective way to prevent the occurrence of parvovirus infection in dogs.

Parainfluenza
Canine Parainfluenza represents the final "P" in DHLPP, and is the least serious of the diseases against which it protects. It is a highly contagious viral disease that irritates the respiratory tracts of infected dogs, causing dry, unproductive coughing. Its symptoms resemble those of bordetella, commonly known as kennel cough, and can be easily spread between animals. Although no vaccine is 100 percent effective, the regular administration of the DHLPP vaccine is an excellent method of protection against these five common canine diseases.

Source:eHow

Edited by moderator Wed Dec 19, '12 11:39am PST

Edited by forums moderator
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 12:35pm PST 
Baron, how about listing your sources?????? Sounds like this is copied right off the literature accompanying the vaccine.
Lepto is not normally considered part of the core vaccines and most vets do not use it UNLESS it is specifically requested. There are problems with allergic reactions, not just with small dogs, AND the vaccine duration is less than 6 months. Furthermore, there are many strains of lepto and the vaccine doesn't protect against them all, including the most common one, at least here in the Northeast.
Having had a dog who DIED from an allergic reaction to lepto vaccine, I will not give it nor recommend it to anyone... the risk of the average house pet being exposed to lepto is much, much less than the risk of a fatal vaccine reaction!
[notify]
Baron

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 12:46pm PST 
Whoa...Ok, it was just information about each individual virus. And yes, you are correct as most VETS do not give the Lepto vaccine unless requested, HOWEVER, almost ALL mobile vaccine clinics DO. SO, it was just a heads up in-case she ran across it and didn't know what Lepto was!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by author Wed Dec 12, '12 12:47pm PST

[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 12:57pm PST 
Toto was that the new lepto vaccine or the old lepto vaccine? The lepto vaccine that is newer is supposed to be better. Also the Merial vaccine is supposed to be better from the one made by Fort Dodge.

My heart dog, Holmes, had lepto badly at 12, and I believe that it damaged his lungs, and led to his demise from pneumonia. Lepto is important for any dog that goes outside, as it is spread by animal urine.

Just my humble opinion, not trying to be argumentative. To each her own -- it's an important decision. I would give it spaced out from the other vaccs and on it's own. I have never heard of it as a requirement either. Parvo vacc or a parvo titer is important, OTOH, in areas where there is parvo, often where it has spread from shelter or stray dogs.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 2:06pm PST 
The old one killed the dog, HOWEVER, the new Merial one caused a pretty severe reaction in one of my Frenchies... fortunately, I live next door to the vets or it probably could have been fatal as well. By the time treatment was started the dog had literal bleeding splits in the skin down his nose and between each toe because of the severe swelling.
Not something I want to play around with. Yes, most of my dogs ARE outside on ponds and in woods all Summer BUT, I am familiar with the symptoms and hope I would/will spot a problem before it's too late for a good result from treatment.
I admit, I was a bit nervous when one of the vets next door called to tell me she had a dog (her own) with lepto and it had been walking (and urinating) on our common lawn when my guys run around to get to the brook. NO ONE got it, thankfully!
[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 5:23pm PST 
Im a vet tech and I am anti pretty much anything for my dogs lol.
But I always recommend the DHP vaccine especially for dogs that have never had a series of it as a puppy. Parvo can kill, distemper can kill, hepatitis really sick. I do vaccinate against lepto because my dogs go to the woods up north fields, wild animals run through our yard etc.
For my dogs I always follow a series of boosters as a puppy and then an 3 yr vaccine. After that you can run titers to see if your dog has immunity from the vaccine and can choose to vaccinate or not.
ANY dog can have a severe reaction and possibly die from a vaccine. We vaccinate countless amounts of dogs a year. And on an occasion one will have an anaphlyatic reaction. But its a risk sometimes you must take.
[notify]
(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4