GO!

Ringworm??? What is This???

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 6:37pm PST 
I wish I could figure out pictures easier or I'd post.
Does anybody know what ringworm looks like?
Callie has a spot on top of his head that started out as a fur covered quarter sized bump. Next day it looked like a pink bullseye, today it looks like a crusty red bullseye.
It doesn't seem to hurt him or itch. I put Neosporin on it but it still looks nasty. Is there anyting I can do or time to call the vet?
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 6:50pm PST 
Sounds like it could be ringworm. You can put lotrimin AF (antifungal) on it, you can get that at the drug store. Neosporin won't do anything if it's ringworm. I would make sure he doesn't lick it off after you put it on. If it responds you know what it is. But be careful it's really really contagious.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 7:03pm PST 
I agree with Sarah. You will also want to wash Blankets/beds in lysol then regular wash to kill the fungus so it doesn't spread.wishes
[notify]

Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 2:06am PST 
Ringworm is caused by a fungus. It is highly contagious. Ringworm appears as skin lesions. They are patchy in appearance. Mild cases will cause no more than a few broken hairs. Some dogs can actually carry ringworm without showing symptoms. Puppies are most prone to ringworm. It is very easy to spread from dog to dog. The infection can even spread over the dog's entire body! Ringworm is diagnosed by a veterinarian using an ultraviolet light. Treatment depends on severity. I recommend a medication shampoo. I also recommend getting an oral medication. A topical treatment would also be beneficial. Ringworm takes about two weeks to heal. Follow your vet's recommendations regarding treatment. Just because the lesions clear up doesn't mean you stop the treatment. Your vet will need to go over the dog with an ultraviolet light once treatment has been completed to make sure the ringworm it completely gone.
[notify]