GO!

Curly rear dew claws

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 2:48pm PST 
Koorazh has dew claws on his back paws that have begun to grow in such tight circles that now I can no longer get a clipper on them. If they grow much longer I'm afraid they'll grow into the pad there. How can I trim them? Or should I just take him to the vet?
[notify]
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 3:13pm PST 
Never mind. Got it -- using the cat's clippers and going fast and hard. Didn't even quick him.
[notify]
Wilbur

Texas Fatso

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 10:27pm PST 
I'm glad to hear you got them, as I think it wouldn't be too hard to do with dog nail clippers. But, just be careful when you trim them. If you don't have nail clippers designed for dogs, have the vet do it. Always keep an eye on the dews! Were they curled all the way into the paw? If not, I think clipping them very gently would do the trick. If they did get into the paw, you need to see the vet. If you are unsure, go to the very anyway. Just make sure to keep an eye on all the nails and don't let them get overgrown. I actually once found a stray dog who's nails had grown into it's paws! Overgrowm nails can be very serious. When they get like this, it is probably best to have the vet do them. But, I'm glad you got them yourself! Just watch out for that quick! Honestly, the average person isn't skilled enough to cut overgrown nails without potentially causing damage.
[notify]

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 6:46am PST 
My friend's Irish Wolfhound's rear dew claws are very curly, too, but they are very loose and dangly. Just try to keep them clipped down a lot. smile
[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 8:36am PST 
I clip my dogs nails every 2-3 weeks. Make sure you are clipping all the nails regularly. So they do not become overgrown
[notify]
Wilbur

Did you say- food?!

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 9:01am PST 
Wilbur's dewclaws do the same thing. I have to keep a close eye on his nails because his feet are so furry that I generally can't see 'em unless I dig for 'em! big grin
[notify]
Wilbur

Texas Fatso

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 7:16pm PST 
I still would have the vet check the dews to make sure there is no damage, if they were seriously overgrown. Does your dog go in for a bi-annual checkup? Mine all do. I recommend that all dogs do. It's a good way to make sure they are healthy. Your dog looks like he is in great health, though! You are obviously doing a good job caring for him. You can actually use scissors to clip dew claws on most dogs. I hope you reply! I love the pics of your boy, by the way. Just be careful with those dews. It's pretty cheap to have a groomer clip them back. I do my dog's myself. But, theirs are firmly attached and don't get overgrown like that. You can actually have the vet put your dog under to remove the dew claws totally. Was their any bleeding? You will probably need to trim the dews once a week to keep them under control.
[notify]
Uma

Leader of the- Pack

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 8:12pm PST 
It might be a good idea to have a groomer do them next time. I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you out. I just trimmed my friend's dog's dews yesterday, and they were very overgrown. I'm a mobile dog trainer, and I will clip nails for free for my friends and clients. Dewclaws are just a big pain! When I first got Uma from my mother, hers were overgrown. But, it would be a good idea to have a groomer trim them the next time. It only takes about two weeks for the dews to get really long. But, if they are curled, this means you have let them go for probably two months! I'm surprised you didn't catch this earlier. The groomer is your best bet. Your dog is shorthaired, so it should be easy to see if the dews are getting long. If you take your pup in twice a month to get them cut, this should keep them looking great.
[notify]
Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 2:38am PST 
Next time, have the vet clip the dews. Most dogs have dark nails and it is impossible to see the quick. Don't let dews grow so long! Thankfully, dew claws are not big bleeders, as the quick is farther back than it is on the rest of the nails. I recommend you have them removed completely. If you cut the quick on the dew, it can bleed. You will need to have quick stop powder on hand. If you do cut the quick, apply pressure. Rear dew claws are rarely very firmly attached. Most are just hanging by little more than skin. There may be some tissue in there, but very little. I've never had a dew claw bleed on my before. They have gotten pretty long on my dogs before. Just don't cut it too short. The longer you let the nail grow, the longer the quick is going to grow. Dew claws don't wear down on cement or asphalt like the other nails do.
[notify]