GO!

Mya has a malignant tumor :(

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 7:17am PST 
Hugs for Maya and her mom!! hughughughug
[notify]
Toby

Got food?

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 5:18pm PST 
Toby was diagnosed with a grade 3 stage 2 mast cell cancer. It started with a lump between his toes. It was in 1 lymph node on his back leg (same leg as the tumor). We went to an oncologist and treated it very aggresively. He was on IV chemo for 4 weeks then the drug Palladia for about 9 mos. He has been cancer free for 5 mos now. It doesn't have to be a death sentence. Veterinary Oncology has really come a long way. PoP for Mya! hughughug
[notify]
Mya CGC TDI

I'm your new- best friend! Pet- me!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 7:54pm PST 
Thanks again for all the potp everyone!
The staining is taking longer than originally thought. We won't hear until Monday or Tuesday now. As long as cancer has not spread, we will be removing either a toe or a leg. If we hear Monday and it hasn't spread, surgery will be Tuesday.
Thanks again, and I'll continue to update this thread. It really means a lot to have so many people pulling for her!
[notify]

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 8:39pm PST 
hughughughughughug
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 5:18pm PST 
Bump and hughughug

Any news yet?
[notify]
Mya CGC TDI

I'm your new- best friend! Pet- me!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 1:59pm PST 
I have some amazing news!
The lab couldn't confirm the malignancy for sure, because it was a needle aspiration and not a biopsy. The only way to do a biopsy would be to remove the entire toe, and we would rather not do that surgery if possible. Our vet would also rather not remove her toe if it isn't necessary.
So right now she's on a couple different medications, and we are going to see if it continues to look better like is has. It could still be a malignancy, it could be some weird thing. But we're taking pictures and monitoring it and hopefully this works out!
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 2:04pm PST 
I think that's the best news possibe! I hope the medications continue to work hug
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 2:07pm PST 
Hooray. Great to hear.

Joey had a bump that was aspirated with "inconclusive results." If the bump doesn't go away, you might want to have the aspiration done again (maybe in a month or two) just for peace of mind. Mast cell cancer can be hard to diagnose by sight, and sometimes the tumors grow or shrink for no apparent reason.

There is something that looks like an MCT that goes away by itself in 4-6 weeks. I forget the name, but Joey had one of those, too. A bump could be any number of things, and I'm glad your vet is not just taking it off without good reason to do so!

What are the meds for - are they antibiotics, antihistamine, or something to drain a cyst if that is what it is?

I'm happy for your good news, but DO keep an eye on it, and also check for other bumps. It's hard to see them under a dog's skin until they get larger, and the earlier things are caught and looked at, the better!

Edited by author Tue Dec 4, '12 2:13pm PST

[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 2:23pm PST 
Sanka had a similar result with his needle biopsy (he actually had 2). It never did produce a conclusive result. And a week on antibiotics completely got rid of the lump. I also met someone else who's dog had the same thing. shrug

Hopefully she has many more agility filled years ahead of her!
[notify]
Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 10:56pm PST 
This lesion on her pad sounds like a melanoma. They account for 5% of all canine cancers. They actually form during fetal development. When they are mature, they are known as melanocytes. They can be found on almost any part of the body. But, they are always found on the skin. 95% of skin tumors are melanomas. They are so common because where they grow (the basal keratinocytes). Keratinocytes found in the stratum basale are sometimes called basal cells. Skin pigment produced by melanocytes is stored within melanosomes. These malanosomes gather within the cytoplasm of keratinocytes. When melanocytes fail to reach the skin, they grow into intradermal melanocytes. In the skin there is a second group of melanin containing cells. They have phagocytosed skin pigment. Melanocytic growths are very common in old dogs.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4