GO!

SNORING!! Is there a cure?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 4:36am PST 
Does anybody know if there is any way to remedy dog snoring? I know bulldogs are probe to snoring because of their short snouts but Sparkles is part Rottweiler and has a small snout. She doesn't bother me at night, I can sleep through anything and her snoring tends to lull me to sleep (good thing since she either lays on my pillow or with her head on my chest). But, my husband on the other hand is a much lighter sleeper and is getting annoyed. He wants her to sleep downstairs in her crate when we go to bed which I think is horrible as she can't stand me being out of her sight. I went shopping Black Friday and was out all night and she would not sleep, wouldn't stay in the bedroom, paced around and pooped on the floor. She's also not find of the crate and rarely uses it. Only for a little time out here and there if she's getting too carried away picking on Dreamy. Sorry, I'm blabbing on. Any home remedies anybody knows would be great.
[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 5:45am PST 
LOLOL..........Koby snores really loud too! He sleeps in my daughter's room and we can hear him all the way downstairs. big laugh Luckily she can sleep through it. So, if you find a cure let me know.............
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 6:01am PST 
I honestly can't figure out who is louder Dear One or Kai. Kai was the first pup we ever had that did it and Akitas have short boxy noses but not pushed in. We asked the vet about it out of concern and she told us that sometimes there is a malformation in the sinuses,that does not affect function at all but causes the snoring,she never mentioned a cure. I agree with Koby if you find one please let us know.wishes
[notify]

Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 6:30am PST 
Lol, this sounds hopeless! At least we're not the only ones suffering here lol and I can't even imagine snoring so loud I could hear it on another floor!
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 7:35am PST 
Dogs snore, particularly certain breeds. Right in her profile you say she's 31/32 bulldog and only 1/31 rottweiler. I'm not sure where someone gets such numbers but you openly admit bulldog is the vast majority of her genetic make up. There is no cure, all bulldogs snore, it's who simply who they are, and likewise who she is. If your husband has a hard time sleeping through it then she really does need to sleep elsewhere. I adore my dogs but the needs of human family members should never take a back seat to one of our dogs.

As for the SA, I wonder if your feelings are influencing her?

Rest assured there's nothing wrong with a dog sleeping in a crate, there's nothing wrong with a dog sleeping outside of the bedroom, and there is no reason she should be anxious just because you're not around for an evening. You seem bothered by the notion of her sleeping elsewhere, but really, it's not being mean to her. However, if you see it as some form of cruelty she's going to pick up on that and it's going cause her undue stress.

Same thing when you leave. Dogs are phenomenal at picking up on how we're feeling and feeding off that. If you think she's going to be just devastated if you leave the house without her odds are she will be. If however you think of her as the strong and capable dog she is that'll boost her confidence.

Most people do appreciate being loved by their dogs, that's one of the best parts about them, but when it crosses the line into dependence that's where you as owner need to draw the line and help her overcome that.

I read you got her as a puppy, and she is still very young, so now is the time to get her positively acclimated to her crate and being just fine being away from you. There's no reason for her to suffer from something like separation anxiety. It's not an inherited trait but one that is owner created and I'm very sure you don't want her to have to deal with that sort of anxiety the rest of her life as you do seem to love her a great deal.

Maybe get her enrolled in a dog training class to aid in her socialization and get your husband to take her?
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 7:41am PST 
Tell you husband to go downstairs and sleep on the couch cause his snoring is annoying you and the doglaugh out loud
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 8:15am PST 
"Dogs snore, particularly certain breeds. Right in her profile you say she's 31/32 bulldog and only 1/31 rottweiler. I'm not sure where someone gets such numbers but you openly admit bulldog is the vast majority of her genetic make up. There is no cure, all bulldogs snore, it's who simply who they are, and likewise who she is. If your husband has a hard time sleeping through it then she really does need to sleep elsewhere. I adore my dogs but the needs of human family members should never take a back seat to one of our dogs."

I'm not putting my husbands needs on the back burner which is why I was here asking. If she absolutely has to sleep in the crate, she will though her crying and barking would most likely cause everyone in the house to have a rough night of sleep. I was checking to see if there was anything that could be done to avoid the whole situation. Rocky and Dreamy both sleep in the bedroom with us so there's also that feeling that she will be excluded. She's very smart and knows where everyone else is.

"Rest assured there's nothing wrong with a dog sleeping in a crate, there's nothing wrong with a dog sleeping outside of the bedroom, and there is no reason she should be anxious just because you're not around for an evening. You seem bothered by the notion of her sleeping elsewhere, but really, it's not being mean to her. However, if you see it as some form of cruelty she's going to pick up on that and it's going cause her undue stress. Same thing when you leave. Dogs are phenomenal at picking up on how we're feeling and feeding off that. If you think she's going to be just devastated if you leave the house without her odds are she will be. If however you think of her as the strong and capable dog she is that'll boost her confidence."

When we brought Sparkles home at 6 months old, we tried the crate thing at night and when we left. She would howl and cry and bark, still does if she's in there for a while or alone. She also would pee and poop in her crate. I guess because she was kept in cages her whole life before we got her. Now I know there's nothing wrong with a dog sleeping in a crate but when everyone else is in bed, I think it's not right. I usually don't feel bad at all when she goes in her crate. But I would feel bad putting her there at night. I also never get stressed or feel bad when I leave. She 's just very dependent on me. I guess I became her rock since she was extremely fearful when she came into our home. I also am a stay at home mom so she's not used to extended periods of time without me around.

"I read you got her as a puppy, and she is still very young, so now is the time to get her positively acclimated to her crate and being just fine being away from you. There's no reason for her to suffer from something like separation anxiety. It's not an inherited trait but one that is owner created and I'm very sure you don't want her to have to deal with that sort of anxiety the rest of her life as you do seem to love her a great deal."

When we leave the house, we never crate her as the experience with it when we first brought her home was horrible. She's well behaved most times and doesn't destroy things and usually doesn't have accidents. I only mentioned Black Friday because it was an overnight thing and I wasn't there in bed when I was supposed to be and it worried her a great deal. The crate, we pulled out of storage just to keep her confined and from hurting herself after her surgery, and yes, she did still pee in it. It's not too big for her either. The thing is, I would like to put the crate back in storage, at least until we manage to move as our house is too small to have it sitting in the dining room and the basement is too cold. You are right, I do love her a great deal, a lot more than I expected to when we got her.

"Maybe get her enrolled in a dog training class to aid in her socialization and get your husband to take her?"

My husband loves bulldogs and it was his decision to get her but, he's not a big dog person. He would simply say, your the dog person. But, besides that, she's actually very well socialized now. She does great with other dogs and pretty well with other people. We've been doing good with that one. Thank you for your advice, you obviously know your stuff BUT, I still think there has to be a better solution somewhere other than forcing her to sleep away from the rest of the pack just because she snores.

I read somewhere about getting a circular bed to help her sleep in curled position for snoring relief. I may try that. Heck, she's sleeping right now on the floor and not snoring. Seems like the only place she does snore is in bed. Maybe just keeping off the bed at night would work smile
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 8:37am PST 
Hucky and Ringo- lol!! Well that wouldn't work since he doesn't snore, and I couldn't sleep without him lol!
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 8:38am PST 
I'm curious what you did to acclimate her to her crate? Even if you choose not to use it for her to sleep in at night if she ever needs to be boarded, or kenneled at the vet it really is an invaluable thing for a dog to be comfortable with.

Body position, surface and bedding make no difference in my pugs snoring.

It's typically associated with how deeply one is sleeping more than anything.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 8:44am PST 
Sparkles, I paw mailed you.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3