GO!

Bladder stone removal

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 7:01pm PST 
Hello! This is my first time posting a question about my pup. I have some questions before I talk to my vet again as I want to come prepared, so I was hoping you all could help me.

Lucy is a 1 1/2 year old pup that is a Terrier mixed breed and weighs about 25 pounds. She has had 2 urinary tract infections with this second one causing 2 stones in her bladder. The Vet advised surgical removal so this was completed 2 1/2 weeks ago. The stones were sent off for analysis and found to be 100% struvite formation. The vet wants her to go on a special diet (Hill C/D) for life as well as pulse antibiotics 3 days every month using Clavamox. She has since had her urine checked and it was found to be "clear". I wished I would have asked at the time if there were any crystals in her urine.

Here are my questions:

1. Why should she have to be on a special diet when her struvite formation is due to an infection?
2. Reading about Hill C/D makes me very leery of what appears to be less than ideal quality of food. Does anyone have suggestions for food that would be better? We aren't quite ready to go the direction of a home made/raw diet so looking more for canned or kibble suggestions.
3. Is it dangerous for her to be on a long standing antibiotic regimen in regards to antibiotic resistance. She's a pretty young pup!
4. We've increased her water intake and make sure she doesn't go longer than 4 hours during the day without a break. She also has water in her kennel.
5. Would anyone recommend a cranberry supplement for UTI prevention?

Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks in advance for taking time to read through it all!
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 3:28pm PST 
Jax had struvite crystals in her urine off & on for several years. I had her on C/D dog food and it helped. I then switched her to a better food and put her on vitamin C. That helped and she never got the crystals again. I wouldn't just switch without consulting your vet first. Good Luck!
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 5:38pm PST 
I don't have any knowledge about this, but just wanted to bump it up so others might respond.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 8:31pm PST 
Thanks for the response so far! We made an appointment with our vet this Saturday so we can discuss our diet concerns before we jump into anything. Any other advice would be welcome!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 11:01pm PST 
In most cases the crystals cause the infection, not the other way around. The diet is to help prevent formation of crystals thereby reducing the incidence of uti's.
Toto has chronic uti's... we WISH he had crystals as they would be a reason for the uti's!.
Good luck!
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 3:47am PST 
People in the food forum might be able to help you figure out a better diet then Hills that provided that same outcome.
Good Luck and don't be afraid to get a second opinion if you aren't satisfied with what your vet has to say.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 4:46am PST 
Here is an interesting and thorough article: Dog Aware: Struvite Crystals and Stones

Here is the relevant page from the Merck Veterinary Manual: Struvite Stones
[notify]

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 9:10pm PST 
Dr. Watson thank you so much for the links. Very informative and helpful!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 10:08pm PST 
The crystals form because the urine pH is high and usually the pH is high because of infection. There are also sterile crystals formed because the dog's urine is normally too high.
[notify]