GO!

Albino Deaf & Blind Chihuahua

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Gucci

Love is Blind <3

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 9:13pm PST 
We bought this 13 week old puppy from a local byb and they said could see and hear fine but after her vet appointment they said she is both partially deaf & blind in both eyes and ears. She is also Albino and we are aware she will need sunscreen to prevent sunburn and cancers but is there anything else we need to know she loves kids we have 4 and seems to get around just fine
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 12:19am PST 
first off, you need to know that she is not albino, she is double merle. Dogs don't have a true mutation that causes albinism. Even if there was one, just like with horses, it would likely be fatal at infancy.

Double merle dogs have terrible genetics.they are prone to blindness, deafness, digestive problems, allergies, skeletal deformities and all sorts of things. They can be wonderful dogs, but be aware that you will be spending lots of time at the vet.

#2 on the list for a special needs dog is to get a professional trainer. You want this dog to be happy, and it's not going to be happy if it misbehaves because you haven't been able to consistently teach it otherwise. Blind dogs take voice commands, nd deaf dogs learn sign language, but blind and deaf dogs will require more inventive ways of communicating.

For the life of the dog, you will have a hard time rearranging your furniture. Your dog maps things out, and he needs a stable environment.

Watch where you are walking, because the dog won't.

Edited by author Thu Nov 22, '12 12:29am PST

[notify]
Milo

My love is worth- your time

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 4:02am PST 
Good advice Foxxy! Foxxy is right about your puppy being a double merle not an albino and the health issues that come along with a DM puppy. You will want to research DM dogs and the health issues that come along with them so you are prepared for the future health issues that are very likely.

Another note, you will want to ensure your kids understand that the dog is special needs and that they need to make it apparent that they are around. the pup will not be able to see or hear them coming and like any dog, when startled could bite. I foster dachshunds and double merles (called double dapple in doxies) regularly come into rescue so I have had a couple who were blind and deaf pass through my home. I always make sure that I tap the floor (or whatever they are on) until they show that they feel the vibration and know I am around.

Training is going to be difficult, be patient and do not get frustrated. House training can be difficult with a healthy Chi, much less one that is special needs. Find a trainer who has experience with special needs dogs and start training early. Good luck
[notify]

Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 6:17am PST 
warn your children to use care, a startled dog will snap.also know double merles do not have the normal life span.
hate to say it, but that was a bad breeder. you never breed merles to merles.

good luck
[notify]
Gucci

Love is Blind <3

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 8:45pm PST 
Thanks guys but the vet said she is actually Albino as well as a double merle she has a pink nose, pink skin and pink eylids she is not fully blind nor fully deaf just partially she can still see and hear a little bit I have been reading more up on DM and Albinos she does listen quite well and never runs into things she is pretty self aware when we first brought her home she was running around with the kids in a brand new environment and never ran into anything. My kids fully understand she is special as two of my children are special needs as well "Autism" and the other one has heart issues needed 3 open heart surgeries is going in for more after Christmas and gets blood transfusions every 2 weeks for a rare blood disorder only 700 people have worldwide called diamond blackfan anemia so we are quite familiar with disabilities my mother in law is also legally blind so puppy fits in this family quite well.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 3:26am PST 
then it sounds like she may be in the right home.
[notify]
Gucci

Love is Blind <3

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 11:02am PST 
Thanks Dylan I appreciat that
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 12:25pm PST 
I do agree that she sounds like she is in the right home, however, would be concerned about taking her to the Vet if he thinks there is a gene for Albinism. There is not. As Foxxy said, there is Double Merle, which is what your puppy is. I believe there is a rescued Aussie pup on here that is also a Double Merle too. Hopefully her owners spot this and come give some advice!

Sounds like she has a great home though!
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 4:04pm PST 
Just wanted to wish you good luck with this dog. I adopted a dog that could not hear and had sight problems, and it has been hard on all of us here to get her trained. But we did it. I hope everything goes well for you.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 6:40am PST 
I'm with Charlie... I would seriously question a veterinarian who believes dogs can be albino... double merle IS NOT albino, albino is fatal in dogs and they do not even live long enough to be born.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3