GO!

Elevated AST, ALT & Alk Phosphatase levels

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Charlotte (Now an Angel)

I'm the boss!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 2:23pm PST 
We adopted a 2 yr old female toy pincher about 2 mos ago, her urine started smelling like fish, so we took her to the vet. She had very high levels of AST (107), ALT (613), and Alk Phosphatase (166). The vet put her on Denamarin 90mg 1x a day...after one month her levels are AST (went up to 132), ALT (went down to 341) and Alk Phosphatase (down to 153). She is still on Denemarin and will be retested in 6-10weeks. Just need to know that we are doing all we can for her...she seems fine...is alert, good appetite. Gets lots of sleep. Can anyone let me more if there is more we should be doing? What could have caused this? Thanks!
[notify]
Savannah (In- Memory)

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 7:38am PST 
Sorry you are going through this. I don't have experience with this, but I'm guessing from the bloodwork and supplement that your vet thinks your dog has liver problems. I have found Dogaware to be a great resource for doggy health issues, maybe read the section on liver disease:

http://www.dogaware.com/health/liver.html

Did your vet do a urine culture? The fishy odor sounds like a UTI which can be treated with antibiotics. Infections can cause bloodwork numbers to elevate also. Good luck.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 11:59am PST 
Toto has been suffering almost chronic UTI's for the last two years. During a session with an active infection, his blood levels go all out of wack, yet return to normal when the infection subsides.
One time it was kidney values, suggesting kidney failure, next it was liver and his kidneys were perfectly normal, and it goes on and on.
My vet feels that infection definitely will change MANY blood values.
Was your girl checked for a UTI and/or treated with antibiotics for one? I would suggest a urine analysis/culture if not since I agree, the fishy odor is suggestive of a UTI!
[notify]