GO!

Fatal pregnancy? Need advice!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lola

But I did it for- the family!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 11:12am PST 
Hey everyone, I need a little advice:

There are two very adorable dogs that live with me – Lola, a one-year-old AmStaff Terrier about 50 lbs. The second is Bach, a one-year-old St. Bernard weighing about 125 lbs.

The problem: Lola is going into heat and I imagine they will try to make puppies.

Neither dog is fixed, and although it would be cool if it were my decision, I don’t have the final say for either of them.

The question: Is it possible for Lola to get pregnant with puppies so large that the fetuses would kill her?

I don’t know of this is an irrational fear and nature will take it’s course, or if this is a legitimate fear.

I’ve heard a few sides – If the male dog is too big the female will naturally deny him. The larger the puppies will be, the less of them the female will have. But are these really true?

I guess I am just scared she will get hurt.

What do you guys think? Please list your sources – especially if it is something like 30+ years experience breeding dogs lol smile
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 1:13pm PST 
Charley was a 100 lb pitty and Lil Girl was smaller then your average beagle. About 25 lbs. When I found her, she wasn't fixed and neither was Charley. She went into heat and I saw Charley trying to do his thing. I called the vet and they suggested spaying asap, like that week so that just incase she was pregnant the spaying would abort the pups. She told me that as small as Lil Girl was, it would be a very painful delivery and maybe even kill her if Charley impregnated her. So I spayed her that week.

Edited by author Thu Nov 8, '12 1:15pm PST

[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 1:27pm PST 
Well, it's certainly not a good decision and one i wouldn't want to risk either.

Are the dogs not yours? Why can't they be kept separated throughout Lola's heat?

Edited by author Thu Nov 8, '12 1:29pm PST

[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 1:28pm PST 
Don't underestimate things.. I seen a small dog mate with a bigger dog before so it's possible a big male will mate with a smaller female.

"Neither dog is fixed, and although it would be cool if it were my decision, I don’t have the final say for either of them."
Why you don't have final say?

My advice learn about intact females learn the signs of things and at what time you need keep dogs separated. I wouldn't want an oops litter.

I'd spay the female..
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 1:53pm PST 
Definitely keep them separated. I don't know that the puppies would kill her (though it's definitely a possibility), but an oops litter isn't exactly a good idea in any case. Why take the risk?

And I too am wondering why you don't have the final say. thinking
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 3:29pm PST 
Being impregnated by a dog over twice her size could absolutely hurt her and/or any resulting pups. Even matings between two similarly sized dogs can result in complications, sometimes fatal.

They should be separated regardless. Part of responsibly owning an intact male and female is separating them when the female is in heat. Keep two closed doors between them so that there's no way they can get to each other. Don't rely on doggy diapers, crates, ect. to keep them from breeding. And of course never leave her outside unattended or a passing male could get to her.

Treat her as though she could get pregnant for at least three weeks. Don't assume that when she stops bleeding it means she's out of heat. Keep both dogs separated when unattended, even if he doesn't seem interested or she's telling him off. Just because one or the other isn't ready to breed at that moment, doesn't mean they won't when the time is right.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 4:13pm PST 
"There are two very adorable dogs that live with me"

I'm guessing they're a roommates dogs who either doesnt care that they breed or wants them to. OP might be here to try and persuade them not to let their dogs do this? *My thoughts

I personally wouldn't chance it.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 5:26pm PST 
Growing up, we took in a small, gray, wire-haired terrier mix that was the size of a Jack Russell Terrier. After a few weeks, we realized she was pregnant. We had no idea what kind of dog caught her. When she went into labor, it was clear immediately that she was in trouble. So, my mother rushed her to the vet. They did a C-section and the vet was shocked. There was one pup. It was about a third of the size of the mother dog and was born dead. If she had tried to have the pup on her own, it would have killed her. It would have been a very painful death. It's a shame the pup died, but to me, that was a good reason why you shouldn't breed a large breed male to a small breed female. BTW, the pup looked like a Rottweiler or a Doberman pup.
[notify]
Lola

But I did it for- the family!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 10:40am PST 
Sorry for the delay in my response, and thank you guys so much for all the advice!

As to why it isn't my decision to fix either of them, Nare guessed it, I live with roommates and although I feel like I take care of both dogs more than either of them do, neither dog is technically mine and therefore not technically my choice.

However, I wanted to be able to show your responses to my roommates, and it's working!! The owner of Lola is concerned she will get hurt and wants to get her spayed. As for now, I'll be keeping them apart when no one is around. I feel a lot better about the whole thing with the idea of keeping two doors between them.

Thank you all so much for your responses. I think that your information has made a huge impact on both roommates' opinions. smile
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 11:13am PST 
That's great Lola! Sounds like Lola's owner loves her enough to consider the dangers and not want to risk her health.

There are loads of low cost spay/neuter clinics around, i'm sure your roommate could find one if money is an issue. If she doesn't want to spay her just yet she really, really, needs to understand how much supervision Lola will need during her heat. I didn't allow my Missy around other males for 6 weeks to be on the safe side. It's not hard to do the responsible thing and i hope they're willing to work out a plan so the dogs are separated at ALL times, day and night.

If they need further persuading, they should know that both dogs are to young to breed, especially Lola. A bitch should be 2 + years old before breeding. Not to mention the huge amount of Pit and Pit mixes in rescues. I know that's a huge issue and potentially the puppies could end up adding to that problem...or much worse. I'm sure that's not what they want.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2