GO!

Doggy teeth brushing?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 3:51pm PST 
I love raw chicken legs to keep my teeth white. Bad breath can also be caused by what you are eating. Food with by products, corn, and other lower quality ingredients can cause bad breath. It should also be noted that some really expensive dog foods have poor ingredients, you must read the labels to make sure the food is meat based with no soy, by products, unnamed fat....

I would agree a vet visit is in order.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 6:39pm PST 
Another vote for raw meaty bones. Wiley & Squam have never had to have a vet dental done or had me brush their teeth. Their vet is quite impressed with how great their teeth/gums are.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 8:28pm PST 
I have made sure and done my research on her dog food, thats for sure, ive heard so much bad stuff about dog and cats food and the stuff in it, When I first got her she was on Purina dog chow, I switched her food and did a lot of research online and whatnot about it and found a score chart to score the ingredients of her food and im happy to say i found one that is reasonably priced and scores well over 100 witch is great according to the chart. I fully agree food plays a big part, so I guess all that is left is just making sure their is no gum disease or decay I can't see and i will start her on some raw meaty bones. BTW has anyone ever tried those mint dentabones?? She has had the original ones and doesn't like them, but any opinions on them?
[notify]

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 9:04pm PST 
Nix has awful breath too. On his upper molars there's quite a bit of plaque that's built up over the year since getting his adult teeth in as a puppy. I'm also ashamed to say I ignored it for longer than I should have, and only a couple months ago I started trying doggy dental products to see if they will make a difference. Arm & Hammer dog toothpaste didn't do squat after about a month-and-a-half of use. Maybe about 4 weeks ago I started using this fresh breath gel from Tropiclean, once a day, every day. ...I gotta say it's not helping with the plaque either, but it HAS made his breath better. Maybe it just needs more time to work.
shrug

If there's no improvement by the time we've gone through this bottle though, then I may have to plan a dental with the vet.

Ava, on the other hand, is more than 3 years old and has had minimal dental care, not to mention she's never had a dental cleaning at the vets either. Her teeth are for the most part pretty fine though, save for a bit of plaque on her molars and the edges of her canine teeth.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 1:07pm PST 
I don't feed mine RMB's and they both have perfect teeth and breath. But they do get nightly chews which i guess you could compare to chewing on a RMB, so that's always an alternative option if you didn't want to feed the RMB. Chews such as deer antlers are good according to owners. I feed mine various strength chews from chicken feet to pig trotters and i believe that helps keep their teeth looking pearly white big grin

You can get various products now that help keep teeth plague free and with fresher breath. Petzlife is one such product and i think another is called Plaque Off.
[notify]
Natcho

LabraDORK

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 2:27pm PST 
Okay, Natcho has horrid breath and not the cleanest teeth either. Raw meaty bones, can I have an example please? laugh out loud From the grocery store I presume yes? What sort of body part would be a 'good meaty bone' beef? pork? chicken? How often?
[notify]
♥CHLO- E♥

Chloe's got Mom- wrapped around- her paws

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 3:39pm PST 
There are toothbrushes & doggie toothpaste in Petco - Chloe loves the poultry flavor & peanut butter flavor - she may not like having her teeth brushed, but it IS necessary. I hope this helped.
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 4:05pm PST 
Poor digestion can cause bad breath.

Duke had nasty breath his whole life, even after switching him to a prey model raw diet. His teeth are clean, there is no gum disease or infection, and he is healthy as could be.

The only thing that helped was a quality, daily probiotic. It helped his digestion, and with that, the garbage breath went away. It's worth a shot...just be sure you are consistent and give the recommended dose every day.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 4:18pm PST 
Natcho, whole fryers (chicken), pork ribs, pig feet, turkey necks, ect. Some dogs do well with beef ribs, but they can be a little dense for power chewers. I avoid the weight-bearing bones from large animals, like cow femers and whatnot, that are often marketed as dog chews because they can easily chip teeth.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 7:46pm PST 
ok so quick question...this may sound dumb to some people but i have to ask, is raw meat not bad for dogs?? Like i know it's bad for humans, but is it different for dogs? Also my thought is would feeding them raw meat not bring out a more (pardon the pun) but the more "animal" side of them...like wouldn't it make their prey drive go crazy always wanting more meat? I feel silly asking these things but im just curious what others think ? I have a baby and a little girl...just a little leery on feeding my other girl (Mika) raw meat and bringing out that want of raw meat....hopefully someone understands what i'm saying frown
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3