GO!

Comfortis

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 10:20am PST 
Is anyone having difficulty finding Comfortis?

Moose is having a bad flea infestation and I've used Comfortis on him in the recent past, but my vet does not have dosage for him. Even enough to combine for his weight. They say it's a manufacturer issue and they have no idea when they'll get it in.
I have left over Frontline Plus from Mikey that I couldn't use and the expiration date has not expired, so I could use it, but I'm so reluctant to do so. I just don't like topicals. Although, if after today, I have no way of getting Comfortis, I'll apply Frontline to Moose.

Is there any other way of getting Comfortis besides getting it through my vet?
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 10:49am PST 
I was gonna ask if you tried drsfostersmith.com or 1800petmeds.com but decided to check those sites first. Most of the sizes are on back order on drsfostersmith.com, and 1800petmeds is out of stock. shock

Edited by author Thu Oct 11, '12 10:55am PST

[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 5:42pm PST 
I don't know if you can get it in the US, but Capstar may be an option. It's an all purpose knock out for fleas - for memory it kills just the fleas on the dog, not the environment. Allot of rescues use it as a knock out product so the fleas don't come with the rescues.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Capstar+Flea+Treatment+Tablets-prod10 325.html
[notify]

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 6:06pm PST 
My vet has switched to Trifexis (for fleas and hw).
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 1:59pm PST 
Moose had a vet appointment this morning and I asked the vet about when they thought they'd get Comfortis in.
The vet (not Moose's normal vet. This vet is new to the office and for whatever reason, I wasn't able to see our normal vet) suggested I use Trifexis and I told him that I had just given Moose his monthly dose of Heartguard a few days ago.
He thought that taking a dosage of Trifexis wouldn't be a problem even though Moose just got his heartworm dosage. He said that the heartworm preventative in Trifexis is minimal comparative to Heartguard and there shouldn't be a problem with taking Trifexis.
Of course, I don't like the idea of too much of anything in my animals systems, but if it will help with this incredible flea infestation, then I'm all for it if it's safe.
(I was going to put a topical on Moose today, but this weekend he's going to be in the water for both Saturday and Sunday).

Do you think it's ok to take Trifexis even though he's had a Heartguard dosage a few days ago?
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 2:25pm PST 
Frontline Plus is waterproof once dried. hughug Hope Moose can get some relief from those pesky fleas soon.

Edited by author Fri Oct 12, '12 2:27pm PST

[notify]
Monty

I live to dig

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 9:27am PST 
Comfortis is prescription only because it's an FDA approved product. The company is really pushing Trifexis (which is comfortis with wormer) with Sentinel on it's backorder crisis.
[notify]