GO!

gross, BUTT (haha) have to ask...Anal Secretions, when to be concerned

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 11)  
1  2  
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 12:39am PST 
Billy - full anal glands aren't always a diet issue. Ppl in general wonder why dogs smell poop whether it's their own or somebody else's. Well when a dog poops the anal glands release the secretion to help the dog pass the stool (basically adds a little lubrication) and it adds the dogs own personal scent to the stool. Yes, to us it smells foul and disgusting but to a dog's nose they can tell whether it's their stool or another dog's stool. Dogs can also express a little of his personal essence when he meets a fellow canine. Have you ever noticed how two dogs raise their tails on high alert when they first meet? This action applies pressure to the anal glands, and this leads to the traditional butt sniffing. Sniffing helps the dogs learn to identify each other by their scents.

Although I find smaller dogs having more problems with their anal glands than medium - large size dogs. I find smaller dogs needing their anal glands expressed more often as well. Not saying it can't or doesn't happen to medium to large sized dogs, I'm just saying I see more small dogs having anal gland problems. But every dog is different.

My pug abby needs hers done every 3 - 4 weeks otherwise they will become impacted. My dachshund jazz on the other hand only needs it done 3 or 4 times a year.

Change in diet may help with your dogs anal glands and it might not. It just depends on the dog.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 11)  
1  2