GO!

gross, BUTT (haha) have to ask...Anal Secretions, when to be concerned

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tucker

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 7:08pm PST 
We have a one year old very healthy and happy Bichon Poo. Occasionally, he has a foul smelling secretion from his back side. He does not scoot, has no redness or swelling or any other symptoms of anal gland infection. Is this normal? Should I just keep doggie wipes handy and clean him up? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 8:19pm PST 
I would have the vet squeeze them. Sometimes they get full and need to be eliminated.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 3:45am PST 
I agree with Kali. It sounds like your anual glands may be overfull. Get the vet to clear them out and show you how to do it yourself. If annual glands get too impacted they can abscess. What a mess, Auda had that happen and he had to have surgery.

Edited by author Tue Oct 9, '12 3:45am PST

[notify]

Billy

Born to- Arrrrroooooooo!

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 5:40am PST 
I had some anal issues. I still secrete them a bit and when mom takes me to the vet for one reason or another, she'll ask the vet to check my glands. Thankfully the last few months, they have been fine. I would have your vet check them. You may not need to be taught how to do it. I think it depends if you have to have them expressed often, or every blue moon.

Honestly, I would rather my vet do it. If it had to be done often that would be a different story, but if it's once every few months or a couple of times a year, I would rather they do it.

I have heard that groomers do it too but the way they do it, they don't always get it all. Not too sure about that, but that's what I heard. Has to do with the way they do it.
[notify]
Fritz

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 8:19am PST 
Good point Billy,
Auda needs his glands expressed once or twice a month since he had the abcess. If it were only a few Xs a year, I would let the vet do it.
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 9:19am PST 
Just because your dog doesn't scoot doesn't mean his anal glands aren't full. If he's leaking anal secretions they are most likely over full and need to be expressed. Groomers express anal glands externally while vets and techs do it internally. Internally is the best way to empty out the sacs completely. Some dogs need their anal glands expressed every month, every couple months, every six months or even once a year or what not. Every dog is different. If you wish to know how to do it ask the vet to show you.
[notify]
Fritz

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 9:15pm PST 
Yes, the vet showed us how to do an internal anal gland expression. It isn't hard, but a little gross. Still poor little Auda has a lot of problems, so we go for it.

Before Auda had his abscess, we had no idea he was having problems. No scooting, no noticeable smell but he was having problems and when the abscess broke open, it was a terrible mess, blood, pus and a huge opening in Auda's back side. (It looked like someone had tore him a new one)

It was infected, he had to be on antibiotics for a week before they did surgery to clean up the wound, clean it out and stitch it. Auda was very sick, I wish I had known to check his glands before it happened. It would have saved Auda a lot of pain and a huge vet bill as well.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 10:40pm PST 
Sassy's anal sacs bothered her but never abscessed. After she went on home cooked food the issue was resolved. Not only was her rear end more comfortable but her breath and fur smelled much fresher as the stink got in her mouth and on her fur as well.

It seems like a minor although disgusting thing but sometimes it can be resolved. You might look into offering a higher fiber food to firm the poop as sometimes that helps or possibly offering a limited ingredient food in case it is a reaction to something in the food.
[notify]
Fritz

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 3:43am PST 
Sometimes a diet change can help, sometimes not. Auda tried home cooked, raw, and different kinds of kibble. Non of them help with the anal gland problem. Cocoa also needs help, none of the bigger dogs seem to but we have them checked once a year when they see the vet.
[notify]
Billy

Born to- Arrrrroooooooo!

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 5:48am PST 
I agree with you...first time mom noticed I was scooting and licking a lot down there. They were full. We went back 3 weeks later for something unrelated and mom asked the vet to check em again just in case (I hadn't been scooting at all...but did lick a couple of times). Vet said they were full again shock

Mine was due to a change in diet. I'm sure of it. I'm back on the food I had before and knock on wood...no full glands big grin

I think full glands are usually diet related right? An allergy or a digestive disagreement of some kind. I'm back on track now relieved
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2