GO!

Guick Question About Nail Quick ?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Bella

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 3:17pm PST 
Thanks again...but why would I put my dog in pain by cutting back to where the Quick is exposed???
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 4:23pm PST 
If you don't clip back to expose a little bit of the quick then the quick will not recede. Just be careful not to cut too far into the quick, when you cut to far is when it will bleed and may hurt.

This link may be helpful:
http://www.drjwv.com/care.php?view=nail_trim.php

(remov e any spaces that may appear in the URL.)

Edited by author Sun Oct 7, '12 4:30pm PST

[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 5:45pm PST 
I never dremel, but I do clip my dog's nails quite often to keep them short and I file them. I'm also a groomer, so I've seen a lot of nails that are WAY too long, and the quick is also long, and the owners don't understand why I can't just make their dog's nails super short.

Anyway, clipping as close as you can to the quick without exposing it can help it recede. You can clip it until you see a small dot, and you shouldn't go any further than that. If you see this dot, it means you are right at the quick without having it exposed or bleeding. But, something really important I want to make note of here is, if you cut it close, and the nails don't come in contact with much (eg, your dog doesn't walk on hard surfaces often) it probably won't help it recede much. I can tell which of my clients walk their dogs often because their nails will be worn down, sometimes so much that I don't even have to clip them. When the nails are cut close to the quick, and the dog walks on the sidewalk often, this helps the quick recede.

Another thing I do with my dog, that I adopted from show grooming Shelties, is after I clip the nails to the length I want, I also take the plyer type clipper (I don't normally use them) and clip just the outer hard surface off the tip that is left. This also helps the quick recede and keeps the nail looking nice and short, but it's important to be very careful doing this, and not to take too much off, just a thin layer, or you will be cutting into the quick.

As for the dremel, I don't see why it would be any different than clipping the nails, unless you just aren't getting as close to the quick as you are trying to.
[notify]

Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 1:02pm PST 
It doesn't cause my dogs pain... shrug What is it with people on this forum... That is also how we filed all of the dogs nails at my work, none were ever in pain. Geesh.
BTW when I said quick peeking out, that doesn't mean they are bleeding.

Edited by author Wed Oct 10, '12 1:04pm PST

[notify]
Bella

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 5:02pm PST 
So, how does the quick "peek-out" with out cutting into it?thinking
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 10:39am PST 
when trimming the nails, take little slivers off the nail, you will see a white dot. The white dots means you are getting near the quick, if you keep trimming you will begin to see a black dot. The black dot it the quick. You want to trim to the black dot. At this point if you keep trimming you will cut into the quick and it will bleed.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 12:23pm PST 
Ahhhhh, thanks way to go
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2