GO!

ITP and AIHA?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

♥Dian- a♥

Let Me Lick- You!Hold Still!

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 3:30pm PST 
My name is Diana, and I am a 12-year-old miniature poodle. I am looking for someone to help me interpret what is going on with my blood. I had blood drawn four days ago because my mouth was bleeding. I had a shot to jumpstart my platelet production and was put on prednisone and another steroid. I had blood drawn again today. This is what it showed (normal range in parentheses):

RBC 4.42 down to 2.45M/uL, (5,65-8.87)
HCT 27.4% down to 15.8%, (37.3-61.7)
HGB 9.4g/dL down to 5.3g/dL, (13.1-20.5)
WBC 27.11 K/uL up from 13.51 K/uL, (5.05-16.76)

NEU 20.75 K/uL up from 9.27 K/uL, (2.95-11.64)
MONO 3.38 K/uL up from .72 K/uL, (.16-1.12)
EOS .01K/uL down from .17K/uL, (.06-1.23)
PLT 13K/uL up slightly from 9 K/uL. (148-484)

My doctor sent me home, but wants to see me on Monday. My humans are really worried about me. Please help me understand what is happening to me.

Love,
Diana
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 4:02pm PST 
Do they have any idea what they are looking for? Did you get into rat poison?
[notify]
♥Dian- a♥

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 4:17pm PST 
No rat poison. I'm a pretty good girl. I think they think my immune system is attacking my platelets and my red blood cells. But they sent me home and my humans are really worried that I might not make it through the weekend.
[notify]

Rascal

Silly

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 4:59pm PST 
it can be a disease seen sometimes in poodles too. I personally would look for a multi-vitamin with iron in it to start. The prednisone will stop the immune response. The RBC is the red blood cells and low=anemia. Platelets are slightly increased which could be a good thing. No more vaccines for your dog! Ever! Hopefully this improves for you. Unfortunately this is a waiting game with alot of blood tests to be done.
Also WBC can mean infection. Neutrophils are also WBC(white blood cells) or they are increased because of the immune issue
[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 5:05pm PST 
I'm going to say it looks like IMHA. But I'm no vet, this is just what I have seen during my years as a vet tech. Low red blood cells are a very serious issue. Hows her gum color? If it is IMHA( immune mediated hemolytic anemia), she should be put on steroids and she may need a blood transfusion.
[notify]
♥Dian- a♥

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 10:20pm PST 
Thank you! I am on prednisone and azathioprine. I was a bit perkier today, so perhaps the drugs are working.
[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 9:17pm PST 
Have to agree with Radley, looks like IMHA with those test results. Has your pup had a chem panel done also to get a look at the kidney and liver values?
Prednisone is the drug of choice for IMHA, depending on how her body responds to the pred will determine how long she will be on it. Keep a close eye on those cbc numbers, we usually see IMHA dogs every 3-4 days for cbc updates.
There are quite a few articles online about IMHA, just be careful not to fall for those suggestions that supplements can turn her numbers around, make sure you ask your Vet before you give her any supplements, ask about her diet also.
There is quite a bit of positive stories about umbiqinol and IMHA, interesting reading, but there again please make sure your Vet is involved with any supplement being adding to her protocol.
One of my best friends has a neuf who has IMHA, we caught it very early, the dog just seemed "off" to her owner so we did labs on her and sure enough IMHA, her numbers have improved greatly, she seems like herself again and we have dropped her pred dose to every other day. Being on the pred, she is "starving" or at least she thinks she is and she has gained wt, but all in all she is doing great at this point and her outlook is good, thank goodness her Mom noticed that she was just not herself.
My friend would love to chat with someone else who is dealing with IMHA as boy!! it is something that you need support from others to not worry yourself to nut-so-ness. It has been a long few scary, tear filled and frustrating months for my friend and walking buddy.
Best wishes and I hope your cuteness pup heals soon. dog
[notify]
♥Dian- a♥

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 9:58am PST 
I am happy to hear your friend's dog is on the mend. Diana's platelets are back to normal, but her anemia persists. Her red blood cells are still way below normal at 2.6 M/uL. Her hematocrit (16.9%) and hemoglobin (5.7g/dL) are as well. Her white count is coming down very slowly (24K/uL). Her NEU, LYM, and MONO remain high. She is sleeping and resting a lot. When she inhales, it is noisy, and her breath smells horrific. Wonder what these mean...
[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 1:16pm PST 
Its a long process, recovering from IMHA, it can take months. Its a good sign that her red blood cells aren't getting lower. Don't expect an over night recovery. Continue the pred as directed until the vet says otherwise. Its saving her life right now. As for the breathing, maybe she is just breathing heavier because her heart is having to work harder. Is she eating well? Or are you having to offer her whatever she will eat?
[notify]