GO!

Is this normal? Spayed female with vaginal discharge?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chloe

Honey Bear

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 4:47pm PST 
Hey folks, hoping to get some input! Just now my husband and I were watching tv on the couch with Chloe. Chloe'd been snoozing, and she rolled over on her back with her butt-end towards me. I grabbed a comb and started brushing her 'pantaloons' since she can be kind of fussy about having that brushed and it seemed like a good opportunity to work some tangles and burs out. While I was doing that, I noticed something weird.

She had a string of a snot-like substance coming from her vagina. It was kind of similar to human cervical mucus (eggwhite cervical mucus as it's known among the ttc crowd), but the consistency was different -- it wasn't as elastic, and it was opaque. Kind of a yellowy-cream color. I dabbed it up with a tissue, and that was it, nothing more came out.

She seems happy and healthy otherwise. She has been a bit lethargic the past couple days, but so have we all since it's been in the 90's and very humid.

Chloe was spayed when she was ~4mos and never had a heat cycle. She's 5 years old now. No history of health problems, she's been an easy-keeper.

Is that normal or should I take her to the vet? I've never seen vaginal discharge on her before, but it's not like I go looking at her hoo-hah on a regular basis.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 6:50pm PST 
I have/had spayed females and they never had any discharge. You might want a vet to check her out.
[notify]
Chloe

Honey Bear

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 8:27pm PST 
Yeah I've never seen discharge on her or any other female before. I thought/hoped that maybe it's just one of those things that happens normally but doesn't get noticed or talked about.

I'll call the vet in the morning, hopefully it's nothing serious confused The only thing I can think of that causes discharge is pyometria, but since she's spayed that can't be it.
[notify]

Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 10:20pm PST 
If they dont take everything out with Spay they can get Pyometria in the stumps of whats left.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 3:44am PST 
Please keep us posted on what the vet says. Good Luck with her.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 6:10am PST 
I agree with the others,please do keep us posted on what the vet has to say.hugwishes
[notify]
Chloe

Honey Bear

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 11:46am PST 
Thanks everyone hug We're going to the vet in a couple hours, I'll update when we know more.

Edited by author Mon Aug 20, '12 11:48am PST

[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 12:32pm PST 
A spayed female still has an entrance into the body there, and that can simply be the body's way of cleaning out any dirt, foreign particles etc. Yes, I've seen some minor discharge in spayed females, especially after swimming.

It is still a good idea to have a vet check to be sure nothing else is going on because you haven't seen this before in this particular female. Best of luck that this is nothing to worry about.
[notify]
Chloe

Honey Bear

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 5:47pm PST 
Hey folks, well looks like so far so good. They took a sample with a qtip and looked at it under a microscope, and didn't see any white blood cells. The vet said everything looked fine. That it could be the fact that we changed her food recently, that she recently lost weight (a good thing lol, she was getting a little porky), or the fact that Chloe has a little extra flap of skin down there, or a combination of all three. She also said that since spayed dogs still have a cervix, it could be that her cervix is producing fluids.

She said that she might be in the early stages of a bladder infection and to watch out for the symptoms. So we'll just be keeping an eye on her for now.

She said that some other things that can cause discharge include a foxtail (!!! ouch!! she said one of her border collies gets that almost each year!!), or "stump" pyometria. But since the sample didn't have any white blood cells, and her hoo-hah looked happy and healthy, those were ruled out.

So, big sigh of relief here. Thanks again everyone!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Aug 21, '12 6:53am PST 
Thank-you for the update and we are glad all is well.hughughugflowers
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2