GO!

Want info- as much as you all have

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Taylor

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 7:53pm PST 
I am so sorry that your poor girl possibly has DM.

Taylor was diagnosed with DM in October of 2011, after showing symptoms for about 5 months his symptoms were hip swaying and he would walk on the tops of his feet. Taylor's DM progressed very quickly, he went from having almost full mobility to nearly none when we decided to let him go in February, so he only lived about 10 months after diagnosis.

I don't want that to discourage you though Taylor had just turned 14 and also had canine cognitive dysfuntion. I'm not exactly sure if this is a part of the DM since a lot of the articles I read had contridicting information. But he lost control of his bladder and bowels everyday, but I think a lot of this was the CGD. The bottoms up leash helped him A LOT in the beginning, I started him on a supplement called Dog gone pain or DGP since he had pain in his spine which was an amazing supplement and I think gave him more time since he had less mobility problems afterwards. He was also on fish oil, glucosomine, selenium, vitamin c, and vitamin b. The best advice I have it to just make sure that you keep Sabi's muscle mass in her back legs up, because that I believe made it worse for Taylor because he lost so much muscle. I would really also start her on the DGP and see if it helps. I will link you to the supplement and the thread I started when Taylor was diagnosed.

http://dgpforpets.com/

http://www.dogster.com/forum s/Senior_Dogs/thread/721863/1
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 8:49am PST 
Taylor thank you for sharing and I am so sorry. So far Sabs is just swaying a bit, tripping on her feet and stumbling periodically. I am hoping that she will progress slowly and even without this I knew I was on borrowed time. She is like a walking ad against poorly bred GSDs.

The diagnosis was confirmed with a swab test, Thank you Lilith and Onyx.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 8:55am PST 
hughughughughughughugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugbig hugwishes for Sabi and Mom as well. So sorry that you yet again have bad news. You know if you need anything,we are always just a p-mail away.big hugflowers
[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 8:40am PST 
I just saw this. Are you still interested in info?
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 7:43pm PST 
hughughughug
[notify]
Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 8:18am PST 
I’m pretty sure the test is a DNA cheek swab. The OFA sells them. I honestly know very little about this disease. You could try getting her into water therapy. If she gets really bad, they make wheelchairs for dogs.
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 10:31pm PST 
Tiller I am always in to more info, yes please. It seems to be progressing slowly because if I think about it she started wobbling almost 2 years ago.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 10:44pm PST 
I don't know how I missed the swab results. hug
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 9:39pm PST 
Tiller?
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 10:51am PST 
wave

HERE This site is a labor of love from a woman whose dog suffered from DM and collects more information than any other site (click on the dog's picture). You need to navigate it patiently....there are a lot of links....but in and amongst are countless pearls of good info. Including this article, which gives good nutritional supplement also (vet written).

Part of the problem you will inherently have is a lot of vets won't take this seriously. It tends not to be painful and the outcome inevitable, so a lot of vets won't react strongly to it, and as it has more swollen in its common-ness in recent years, many vets also aren't up to speed in their schooling when it comes to this diagnosis. So it often will be on the pet owner to collect info.

This site has collected info better than most smile
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3