GO!

Confused by vets regarding my dog's urine!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '12 4:30pm PST 
I just hung up with the vet and realized I'm really confused. I took him to his regular vet to have some lumps looked at, then took in a urine sample. The vet looked at the urine right there and said "No bacteria, no crystals, but it's dilute."

Then I took him to another vet, one that does ultrasounds, and they took a urine sample straight from his bladder. A few hours later they called me and said "His urine is normal."

Then they did a bunch of tests on thyroid, liver, and I guess they sent the urine sample off for a urinalysis and culture. We are still waiting on the culture, but the vet called me and said "The lab found crystals, a ton of bacteria, and it was concentrated."

So that's the exact opposite of what the first vet found. And why did they call me to tell me his urine was normal, only to freak me out with this new news today?

I'm supposed to go in tomorrow to pick up antibiotics for him. This blows. Anyone have any input?
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '12 6:02pm PST 
I believe most vets do a screen on site. If it's sent to a lab, they do a more involved study to check for bacteria or any other things they may be looking for. My vet always sends the urine out, even if they do a screen first. The culture is something that takes a few days. So that's not something they usually do on site. If the first vet said he was clear and they second vet said he has an infection, then I would Not go back to the first vet. I would keep the second vet. Even though they said he was normal, the fact that they sent out the sample anyway, tells me that he is more thorough than the first vet. Why did they take a sample in the first place? Did he have some other symptoms? Good Luck with him.
[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '12 10:23pm PST 
The only way you can get an proper urine sample is to get a sterile sample which the second Vet did via cystocentesis, if you collected a free catch and brought it in to the Vet the sample already could've been contaminated. Just the fact that your 1st Vet did not send in the sample or collect a sterile sample would have me concerned that he did not get correct results.
Is there a reason they wanted a urine sample, is he showing symptoms of a UTI or kidney problems or diabetes such as drinking and urinating more than normal?
Sometimes we cannot see what the lab sees on a sample that we send to the lab, the lab offers a more detailed diagnosis and the culture will show what type of bacteria there is in the urine, what type of crystals and what antibiotic needs to be used to treat the problem. So good on the second Vet for sending it into the lab.
I hope all is well and you can fiqure our what is going on soon.
[notify]

Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 7:50am PST 
Thanks for your input! First of all, the vet wants me to start Mr Blue on Clavamox today, even though we won't have the culture results back for a few days. Is that OK? What if it turns out that that isn't the best antibiotic to use? Also I already give him daily probiotics, so I will keep giving him those I guess.

To answer your questions on symptoms: He is 12 and sometimes when we leave at night he pees inside (on the couch where he sleeps). I thought it was because he was getting old, or weak bladder. We don't think he is drinking more. He pees large amounts and frequently when we walk him, but I've had him 7 years and he has always done that. (The pet sitter I had 7 years ago said to me, "I've never seen a dog pee so much.")

As for the crystals, he is only fed premade raw food, no dry. I thought that was supposed to prevent crystals. However I did read that when you send samples away crystals can form on the way.

The real reason I took him to the 2nd vet (for the ultrasound) was his liver enzymes were moderately elevated. I guess we'll do the antibiotics, clean his teeth, then check liver enzymes again. His bile acid test was normal, as was his thyroid test.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 10:03am PST 
Dilute urine could possibly indicate a low urine specific gravity (USG) level. A low USG means your urine is diluted and has more water in it. USG relates to how concentrated your urine is. That's the easiest way to explain it. Did they mention that?

There are different reasons for diluted urine or low USG. It can be related to kidneys but if your bloodwork shows up normal (creatine and bun), it's possible the low USG is related to something else.

I had UTIs and when they did a urine test, they caught I had a low USG. My creatine and bun levels were normal. I have always drank a lot of water. I won't go into it because it's lengthly, but whenever my vet wants to check my urine, she gives her the first pee of the day, before I have drank any water. It's always normal. Otherwise, if they try to take a sample later in the day, my USG is almost always low.

All that said...if the vet wants to find out why you have a low USG, there are a few tests they can do to try and rule it out. Good luck and I'll pop back in to get an update way to go

P.S. edited to add: I went through tons of tests....liver, bile acid, kidney, diabetes, thyroid, cushings....it sounds like they are trying to rule out the reasons. If you do another urine test, get the first catch of the day before you eat or drink water. That's usually a good indication too

Edited by author Wed Aug 1, '12 10:09am PST

[notify]
Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 10:28am PST 
Thanks Scooter. The dilute sample was the first one of the day. The concentrated one (they said the gravity was fine) was not the first of the day and after he had drank water.

Yeah, the first vet wanted to test for cushings, so the 2nd vet is running a bunch of tests to rule things out
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 11:50am PST 
Are you drinking a lot of water? Interesting that our results are opposite of each other.

So when they did the bloodwork, how were your BUN and creatine levels? Was there any concern there?
[notify]
Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 2:39pm PST 
I don't notice him drinking a lot of water, no. His BUN and creatinine levels are both normal. The Bun is a little low, but it's still within normal range. Really the only elevated things were liver enzymes.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '12 5:16am PST 
have they tested for cushings disease Mr. Blue? Did the ultrasound show anything?

Glad the kidney levels were normal...that helps to rule that out....way to go
[notify]