GO!

Chronic yeast infection in boxer/bulldog ears

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Baileywick

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 3:22pm PST 
Bailey is a two-year old English Bulldog/Boxer mix we adopted about 3 months ago. At her first wellness visit, the vet pointed out she had a pretty bad yeast infection in both ears. He didn't want to put her on antibiotics since "the bullies are so sensitive to EVERYTHING and antibiotics could cause more harm than good". He recommended we flush her ears with a 1/3 vinegar, 2/3 water mixture. Needless to say, that didn't work (since I'm posting here looking for other solutions shrug )

I've read through all the other posts about yeast infections and I've tried everything suggested. She is fully switched over to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck recipe -- so she's on a unique protein, grain-free food. Her treats are all grain-free. She gets a tablespoon of plain yogurt, a tablespoon of dog-specific probiotic powder, a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon in her food daily. We've tried several ear washes that have done nothing but make her uncomfortable. We clean her ears daily (sometimes 2x/day) and still they're coated with reddish-brown gunk 24 hours later.

Her ears are certainly LESS nasty than they were 3 months ago -- they're no longer oozing and she doesn't yelp when her head is bumped. But they're still noticeably inflamed with yeasty gunk in them and she does still scratch and walk around shaking her head often.

Having said all this, any other suggestions would be appreciated! If we have to resort to antibiotics we will but I'm hesitant to give her meds that may or may not help and may very well cause a whole slew of other problems in the process. Thanks all!
[notify]
Joe

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 3:13am PST 
i think you should take to the vet. maybe he can give you more professional advice.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 5:00am PST 
Please keep in mind that antibiotics would not work on a yeast infection anyhow as yeast is a fungus, and antibiotics are for bacteria.

That being said, it's possible the yeast infection is systemic and therefore requires more than just those few adjustments.
[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 6:34am PST 
True, Bam. Also, antibiotics can make a yeast infection worse. Or even start one where there wasn't one before because antibiotics cut down on the good bacteria and flora that help keep yeasts from growing out of control in the body.

I would suggest that you ask your vet to take a culture of the ear gunk. That should at least tell them if the infection is bacterial and warrants a course of oral antibiotics or if it's less severe, something topical or an antibacterial ear wash. If it's yeast, then you'll know antibiotics aren't likely to work.

It's good to hear that your vet didn't automatically prescribe them that's for sure.
[notify]
Bandit

I luvs slippers

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 10:50am PST 
Sorry, don't mean to sound like a broken record but have you thought of trying organic extra virgin coconut oil?

There is a dogster article about CO that mentions it being good for yeast problems.
"Ten Reasons To Add Coconut Oil To Your Dogs Diet"

After reading the article I googled-coconut oil for dogs yeast infection in ears and there were many returns-looks like it does help alot of dogs. It does contain anti-fungal properties as well as anti-bacterial and anti-microbial.

I think you can use it internally and topically to help with the YI.

Hope you find some relief for your baby.
[notify]
Riley

Mommys spoiled- little boy!

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 3:14pm PST 
Look into a product called Zymox for dogs ears. It has saved Riley's life. He used to have ear infection/yeast infection one right after another. A week on zymox and he has not had it again. Its pretty cheap around 10 bucks a bottle. My vet suggested this after four times of coming to her for help. Hope this helps. If you look up the reviews they are amazing for this product as well. smile
[notify]
Sugarbear

Do I hear- someone in the- kitchen!?

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '12 8:33am PST 
I had chronic yeast infection in my ears. My previous owner regularly used a prescribed ear cleaning solution, but my ears never improved much.
As it turns out, I have severe allergies which made my yeast condition worse. There is usually an underlying cause to a systematic yeast infection....something that affects the immune system and lets the yeast grow uncontrolled.
After starting a raw diet and taking probiotics, and having my ears cleaned with a homeopathic solution, my yeast infection was improved but still there. I ended up taking a prescribed oral anti-fungal medication which pretty much cleared up the yeast issues. I became a new dog, was more energetic, grew hair on sparse patches of skin and my dandruff went away.
My yeast battle is constant, however, and I will likely always have to be vigilant about it. I have one ear that is prone to mild flare-ups if I happen to eat something I shouldn't. But now cleaning my ear with dry tissues and the occasional application of tea tree oil is all I need.
[notify]
Indy

Can I get a- belly rub?

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '12 5:39pm PST 
even though grain free is a better option, its still high carb due to potatoes. The best thing to do is to remove all carbs and try raw. If you can't do that, try a low glycemic food like nutrisca. Also zymox ear solution is great.
[notify]
Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '12 1:02pm PST 
It would be best to have the ear problem diagnosed more thoroughly.
Ear infections can be bacterial, fungal or caused by ear mites. The resolution for each is different.

Do some searching online for causes, symptoms and pictures of each so you have an idea if you are in the right direction now or not.

Hope for a quick cure from my pack and I! hug
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Mon Jul 23, '12 12:02pm PST 
My Saint had systemic yeast problems...her problem was her ears, feet, toes, chin, and jowls. Since removing all potatoes from her diet and doing a good round of ketaconazole we have been able to get a handle on it. We used a homemade ear formals that I found on Zimm Family Cocker Ear Cleaner, worked wonders for Bella, but her main yeast problem was her chin and feet. She had recurrent toenail infections and since going through this process she has not had a relapse, during her allergy season we had to go back on daily or more cleanings.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2