GO!

Dog has diarrhea for 3 days .... vet says she's OK - still sick?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 10:40am PST 
Olive developed diarrhea on Wednesday morning and has had rocket-butt ever since. It's all liquid. It started just brown... then turned a deep greenish color before turning orange-reddish... at that point, and because it didn't stop and she was having accidents in the house (completely ruined our couch), I called the vet and brought her in yesterday to be looked at.

The vet (not our regular vet, but was a vet we could see on short notice) did a fecal exam - which came back negative, but the vet found some pieces of carpet in her stool, which prompted an x-ray - which showed no blockages, but did show that the intestines were inflammed. $214 later, my dog is diagnosed with irritated bowels and prescribed a bland diet of cooked chicken and rice for the next few days. The vet said the intestines heal quickly (24 hrs) and she should get better soon. (As for the carpet - she chewed a corner off a carpet earlier this week... didn't think anything of it - I hate to say it, but she's gotten into worse -- the vet thinks the intestines are bothered by the carpet material which is reason for the blood in her stool.)

She's had chicken and rice for the past four meals, and the diarrhea doesn't seem to be getting any better, although it has turned yet a different color - more yellowish this time.

A few things:

Olive is NOT vomiting. She is NOT itchy or lethargic, she doesn't have a fever, she is eating and drinking normally -- she doesn't have any other symptoms of illness besides this awful diarrhea.

Olive is fed grain-free dry. She always ate ToTW, ut because ToTW was on recall, we were feeding Wellness CORE (ocean) the past few months -- we just finished that bag and saw ToTW was on the market again so we started ToTW (high prairie) earlier this week. It was a sudden switch and I thought at first that might be reason for the diarrhea, but it should have cleared up by now?

It's been extremely hot here this week (80s-90s) and I also initially thought the dog was having some kind of reaction to the heat. But we've kept the place cool and she has access to plenty of water, and we haven't been exercising her in the heat.

She's otherwise her normal, happy self - I'm just perplexed what's causing this.

What can I do to make this diarrhea stop????? frown frown
[notify]
Wellington- 4/14/01 - 2/18/13

No I'm NOT a- Saint Bernard.

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 12:08pm PST 
You may have to wait a little longer to see improvement. (Watching carefully for dehydration of course). It took Wellington weeks to get totally normal stools after he had irritated bowels as a very young dog. If it continues to persist you could ask your vet about Metronidazole. Now, if Wellington has diarrhea after his chemotherapy, we give it to him and it usually only takes one dose to resolve the problem.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 12:21pm PST 
How about fasting her? Healthy dogs can go days without eating. It doesn't sound like she's getting much out of her food anyway, if it's going right through. A fast might give her system a break.
[notify]

Olive

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 12:54pm PST 
Bruno - I can try that!
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 1:04pm PST 
I would fast for 24 hours, maybe dilute some water with homemade or low-sodium chicken broth to help her stay hydrated if she's not getting enough water and then start with a tiny amount of food and see what happens.

Small meals fed more frequently will be easier on a healing system than larger meals spaced farther apart.

I also use Slippery Elm for a day or 2 when Chance gets an upset.
[notify]
Olive

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 4:08am PST 
Dogsters --

Good news, although I feel ashamed and embarrassed. red face

Olive passed a sock this morning.

I think this was the culprit -- although the vet said he didn't see any intestinal signs of blockage when we visited on Saturday. I'm relieved, but I feel like a "bad parent". It's not like we leave stuff just lying around, I guess we just weren't able to catch her. ;( The dog will now be confined to the living area when we're gone (hardwood floors... no carpet, no socks!)
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 6:15am PST 
holy crap! You poor thing Olive. I had a blockage once that a regular x ray didn't pick up. My vet was so sure that's what I had going on so they gave me a barium and did the xray and sure enough...there was a squeaker from a toy red face

That's kind of scary that your vet didn't catch that and then misdiagnosed. I know that can happen and they can only go with what they see. I'm just glad it's passed. If it's not any better or you aren't feeling better, perhaps ask for a barium xray just to make sure nothing else is stuck in there.

Oh and Olive...for God sake, no eating socks big laughbig laughbig laugh
[notify]
Grunt CGC

WWGD or What- Would Grunt Do?

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 8:28am PST 
Holy moley! shock Glad Olive is doing better! way to go
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 8:31am PST 
Ya think she got bored with her regular treats? Glad she passed it. Good thing she did. At least now you know what it was.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 10:39am PST 
I wouldn't recommend that anyone who reads this thread for advice fasts a dog without the advice of a vet. Best case scenario, you cause the dog stress. Worst case scenario, you make the dog very sick because he already wasn't absorbing everything he was eating and needed the calories. Even in the case of a swallowed object, like this one, the dog's body was mounting an inflammation/immune response, which takes a lot of resources. We've dealt with several intestinal problems and seen many vets, and never once has one of them suggested that withholding food was a good idea. In the end we got real diagnoses based on send-out fecal exams (which give far more information than the vet's office fecal, which can really only show a few things), and the medicine worked immediately. The internet is full of people claiming that starving the dog for a day or two cured diarrhea. More likely, the dog's body just took that long to fight off the bug or dislodge the blockage, and managed it in spite of the lack of food.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3