GO!

Stitches in neck - how to keep her from scratching??

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kally

I caught a- squirrel once...

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 6:16am PST 
Hello all,

My sweet Kally had surgery yesterday to remove an infected cyst on her neck. She had a four-inch incision in her neck and now has lots of stitches. Our main concern is how to keep her from scratching them. The location of the stitches (side of her neck) keep us from being able to use an e-collar. We have three human socks taped on her back left foot to "pad" the foot but she is still using it to try and scratch her stitches. We stop her as much as we can but I know she did it overnight.

Any creative ideas on how to keep her from scratching this area? Any experience with this?? smile Thanks!!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 6:45am PST 
Can the stitches possibly be covered as well? When I volunteered at our local shelter we had a pup recovering from an imbedded collar and we padded the stitches with a few layers of breatheable gauze and then used some athletic tape to hold it in place. You might want to ask your vet what the best and safest options are rather than try to do it yourself. Phone calls aren't usually that big a deal and most vets are more than happy to help.hugwishes
[notify]
Kally

I caught a- squirrel once...

Barked: Thu May 24, '12 6:16am PST 
Thanks for the suggestion smile They sent her home with a very loose piece of gauze/wrap but said it didn't need to stay on. It was too big and irritated her even more so we took it off. I have called the vet's office several times... they said to just do what we can to keep her from scratching. We have three socks wrapped on her foot so it's much softer but if she still gets a good swipe in there, it makes the incision bleed a little. They said this was normal and to only be concerned if it started excessively bleeding. I hate seeing her uncomfortable -- it's so stressful for all of us!! But hopefully these days will pass quickly and she'll be back to herself in no time smile
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu May 24, '12 8:18am PST 
The soft strechable type of gauze works much better. It can be wrapped a little tighter but will still allow airflow without the irritation that the regular stuff can cause. We keep several rolls around at all times not just for the pups but for us as well. There are some things band-aids just don't work for and the regular guaze can be very itchy and irritating as well.
You could also try a bit of Benedryl- 1mg per 2 pounds to help with the itch and keep your pup calmer.hugwishes for all of you that this is soon just a memory.smile
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Thu May 24, '12 4:59pm PST 
When Jax had stitches in her side a few years back, I put a T-shirt on her. It worked great. Maybe you can cut an old turtle neck shirt to fit her. Hope that helps.
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Fri May 25, '12 5:49pm PST 
Can you get hold of an old turtle neck jumper or a knitted dog coat with a turtle neck collar?

Thanks for that idea Jax. A friends dog has stitches in at the moment from having a scrap. way to go
[notify]