GO!

K-9 ADVANTIX II IS TERRIBLE

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Barked: Sat Apr 28, '12 5:06pm PST 
NOTHING BUT THE BEST FOR OUR DOG!!! YEAH RIGHT!!! I gave our Shih Tzu (Stymie) he's 1 year old K-9 Advantix 2 on Friday night. Saturday morning stymie was off the wall. We had no idea what was wrong with him we took him to our vet Saturday they did not know what was wrong plus we had to take him to the vet on Sunday and they gave him pain pills tramadol and pepcid ac. Finally I called Bayer Health Care and they knew right away. It is called Parasthesia. The dog was extremely uncomfortable he kept crying and would walk 2 feet then he would cry this is still going on a week later Bayer told me this happens sometimes; you have to give the dog a bath in Dawn dish-washing soap detergent. And then put Vitamin E in the tail end area. Stymie's nerve endings were killing him. I followed the directions exactly and put the advantix 2 in 3 areas like you are supposed to. It went into his hind area and started to burn him. What he had felt we were told was a very bad tingling sensation down on that area. The Bayer vet told us it has to run its course. We had brought Stymie to another vet and they had given him metronidazolle 250 mg. While we were at the vets we talked to another couple that had used this product on their dog and it had given their dog blisters all over his body. Another person dropped it on their linoleum floor and melted the floor. So imagine putting this on your pets that you love. If only I could turn back the clock and know how dangerous K-9 Advantix 2 is. We would not have vet bills up to $400.00 and still have a very sick dog in a lot of pain. I will always go online to read and see what the consumer has to say about the product first.

Mary P.
Beacon Falls,CT.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 4:43am PST 
Another person dropped it on their linoleum floor and melted the floor.

The kind of chemical reaction necessary to cause that is impossible with the two items you are talking about. Someone was pulling your leg.

~

In any widely used product, particularly one that is going to interact with a biological "machine" - and particularly a biological "machine" that is probably the most genetically diverse species on the planet - you are going to have individuals that have unpleasant side effects. Some of them even severe.

Best thing to do is stop using that product immediately.

This is my third summer using Advantix, it's worked perfectly for me. I'm sorry you didn't have the same experience, and I hope you find something that will work in its place.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 6:08am PST 
I too have used the entire bayer line from advantage right through to advantix II with no issues. I'm sorry that your dog had a bad experience with it but just as in humans no drug is right for everyone. I can take the antibiotic Levaquin and have wonderful results,my sister on the other hand suffered an anaphylactic reaction,that does not make it a bad drug,just not one that is right for her.

As for doing research on any drug or medication you should. I do not blindly get a prescription and take it because my doctor gave it to me,I check it out carefully and read the literature that comes with the drug as well as looking it up through the manufacturers website and checking comments from others who have tried it before I put the first dose in my mouth or on my body depending on type and weigh the risks and benefits for myself. I do the same thing with meds for my pups,it is called being an informed health care consumer.
I hope that your pup is feeling better soon and recovers quickly but it is up to you as their advocate and voice to KNOW the potential risks and side effects of the meds you give them before deciding wether or not to use them,not pick meds because of advertising.
[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 6:46am PST 
I'm sorry that your dog had a serious reaction. That can happen with any drug, it's impossible to know which individual dog or human will have an adverse reaction to a particular medication. That's why all those commercials on TV for meds list out all the possible side effects and reactions as a warning. I've used k9 advantix II with great results on my dog, no reactions whatsoever and it's the only thing that is currently working to keep the ticks at bay.

Before she was treated this year I pulled 35 ticks (yes, you read that right. I dropped them in alcohol and re-counted) off my dog after one afternoon hike. It was very early in the season, but the ticks were more active than I had realized. Same hike after treatment and I only found one struggling tick unattached. I'll stick with treating my dog.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 7:40am PST 
I am wondering if this is mostly a small breed issue...?
It seems most of the reactions I have read about this are from small breeds...?

Gah. I just got Advantix II in preparation for the next flea treatment..
Now I am thinking I will stick with Frontline Plus, at least I know it is okay for us and we have not had any reactions. I like that Advantix II seems like it covers more pests, but the potential risks do not seem worth it.

Hope your pup feels better soon!
[notify]
Ch. Ali, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 8:59am PST 
I have used Advantix II on my toy poodles (average 5 lbs) ever since it became available. NO tickes and no fleas and NO REACTIONS. However, when I used Frontline plus (a freebie), one poodle suffered a severe skin burn which took three months to heal.
When the company was contacted, they told both me and my vet that it is NOT RECOMMENDED for white toy breeds. And, I pride myself on reading labels, etc., yet, even though it is a known reaction, they do not chose to put it on the label...
I will stick to my Advantix II, thanks!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 9:53am PST 
Ali your experience is why I not only read the label and package insert but look up the profile for the drug from the manufacturer. They will often have information on the site that is not on the box label or package insert.

Mary thank-you for your original post. Although I have used the same product on my pups with no issues and feel badly that it did not work out for your pupfrown the post has given a good opportunity to explain how important it is for every pet owner to take the time to research not only the meds they may choose for their pets but for their own safety as well. wishes on a speedy recovery for your pet and in finding the right product or treatment that is both effective and right for your dog.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 11:00am PST 
Our vet is what started us on Frontline Plus, so because it came right from the vet, I did not question it. Never had a problem (knock on wood).

A reaction can happen to any breed with any brand.

Can't speak for others, but I know we do okay with Frontline Plus, so I am probably going to stick with it. I do not want to risk a possible reaction to another/different flea preventive.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 11:19am PST 
I have been wondering about K9 Advantix. Our vet refuses to sell it because they said they tested it on several dogs and they all had adverse reactions. But Frontline is barely working for us anymore; and I may be moving out to the country temporarily, where Twister will be even more exposed to ticks. He already acts like he is being burned or something when we put Frontline on him (not wanting us to put it on him, and immediately starts rolling on his back trying to get it off). Can someone give me advice on if they think Advantix is a possibility or something else you know of? Thanks! wink
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 4:23pm PST 
Twister, most vets around here won't recommend Advantix because of the danger to cats. I DO have cats but I usually crate all my dogs immediately after applying the Advantix until it is completely dry. That way I also avoid them rubbing it all over my furniture (and, ME!)
I way prefer it over Frontline... while none of my dogs have had a serious reaction to Advantix like they did with Frontline, some of them DO try to rub it off and roll around like crazy. IMO, it is the smell mostly because they always stop once it's dry, and certainly don't act like it's painful at all.
Frankly, I hate using ANY of these products and won't until I find fleas or lots of ticks (I check all the dogs every evening before bed). BUT, it sure is nice that we now have these things available unlike the olden days when all we had was really nasty, poison dips, sprays and bombs, and none of those really worked very well at all. NONE of them had any residual action so you were repeating them every week during the flea season.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4