GO!

Nursing dog really skinny, puppies should be weaned...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Ellie, CGC

Cookies?!

Barked: Fri Mar 16, '12 11:40pm PST 
Hi guys. I took in a foster dog from the pound in December. She was in heat when I got her so I was waiting for her to go out of heat before the rescue got her spayed. Turned out that she got pregnant at the pound or right before that and had 6 beautiful puppies on feb. 11. Her name is Ellie and I adopted her, her insurance policy made it official!

Anyways, she got skinny after she gave birth obviously but she has to put any weight on, I could almost say she has lost weight. She has been eating Orijen the whole time along with various canned food. I would give her owever much she wanted. The puppies are now 5 weeks old and she seemed to be weaning them at 3.5 weeks by not going in the box as often. I started supplementing her milk with puppy food and they all took to it easily. They can now all eat dry kibble just fine. However, Ellie keeps trying to nurse them and they still want to nurse. She still is drinking tons of water and will go in the puppy pen and eat their whole tray of puppy food if I don't watch her. I thought she was supposed to be drying up by now? I've been cutting her food back to what she should be eating for a pre-pregnancy amount. Is this right? I feel like I'm totally starving her and she is seriously skin and bones already.

It should be noted that ot only does she get Orijen dry food with canned food (tiki dog), but I've made her "satin balls" to put weight back on her. I also came up with a supplement that includes probiotics, digestive enzymes, solid gold seameal, tech mix essential nutrition powder, freeze dried raw powder, and coconut oil. But she has lost so much hair and is just skin and bones! What should I do? Is this normal?
[notify]
Zim

OBEY ME

Barked: Sat Mar 17, '12 1:51am PST 
Don't cut back the food of a dog who's too skinny. Really, she should be eating puppy food herself as she is still nursing and even after she stops so she can fatten up a bit.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Mar 17, '12 6:04am PST 
In some persistant females it is necessary to completely remove them from the puppies to allow them to dry up completely. At that time, they can be back with the babies for socialization purposes.
I agree, until she is no longer producing milk she needs to eat all she wants. If she is producing milk and NOT getting enough to eat she will be removing calcium and other minerals from her own bones which can lead to major issues, including eclampsia and/or bone fractures.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Mar 17, '12 6:29pm PST 
Hi, the same thing happened to me last spring (I adopted a dog from a shelter, only to find out 5 weeks later she had gotten pregnant at the shelter, and she had 10 pups!) I would't cut back on her food while she's still nursing. My mama dog reduced the frequency of her nursing at about 3.5-4 wks and I started feeding the pups mush (dry dog food soaked in water in ziploc bag until mushy) as recommended by my vet. The pups would love to nurse forever, nothing tastes as good to them. But once they start getting teeth, mama dog really doesn't want to continue to nurse much longer. My dog was also very underweight when I got her from the shelter, and she ended up getting a severe uterine infection after delivering. Let her eat as much as she wants, and it sounds like you're giving her high quality food. My dog didn't lose a lot of fur, but the vet was surprised by that. He said that most/many mama dogs lose much of their coat due to the stress of whelping/nursing. I wouldn't keep mama dog separated from her pups, but she should be free to leave them and go to them as she wishes....she knows what is right and how to wean them. But they all need each other, mama dog will likey worry sick if she can't get to them, and they need her to teach them stuff so they end up well adjusted. Might not hurt to call a vet, if you think she's not gaining weight quickly enough, just to make sure she's healthy. Good luck....it's a big job!
[notify]

Barked: Sat Mar 17, '12 6:29pm PST 

Edited by author Sat Mar 17, '12 6:32pm PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Mar 18, '12 3:14pm PST 
5 weeks old they should still be nursing. I agree momma should be on puppy food as well and don't cut back on her food, give her more.
[notify]
Ellie, CGC

Cookies?!

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 12:08am PST 
Thanks for the responses. So much conflicting information about when the puppies should be weaned. I've just decided to let nature take its course with that and feed her however much she can possibly eat. Btw, Orijen IS a puppy food. Technically its an all life stage food, but it is very high protein and high calorie. She was eating this when she was pregnant and I have no qualms about giving it to her now or to the puppies.
[notify]