GO!

Are internal Flea Treatments Poison for dogs?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bundy Bear

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 4:16pm PST 
I think Yes. Travelling home the other day, a radio ad endorsing Comfortis Tablets for flea control. Slogan, Kills fleas in 30 mins! What does that mean for a Dog? After going to their website and reading their MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) pdf I was disgusted at the information.
Kidney , Liver and Bone Marrow changes from a tablet given each month !!! Topical treatments I barely tolerate, but feeding this internally to my beloved kids?? A paragraph on their website states " The most common adverse reaction reported is vomiting.
Other adverse reactions reported in decreasing order of frequency are: depression/lethargy, decreased appetite, incoordination, diarrhea, itching, trembling, excessive salivation and seizures.
Following concomitant extra-label use of ivermectin with Comfortis, some dogs have experienced the following clinical signs: trembling/twitching, salivation/drooling, seizures, incoordination, excessive dilation of pupils, blindness and disorientation.Post-approval experience continues to support the safety of Comfortis when used concurrently with heartworm preventatives according to label directions" WHY would anyone want this for the dog? Natural Flea products that are not toxic can rid fleas.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 5:00pm PST 
All drugs can have side effects.

And not all "natural" treatments are safe, effective, or free of side effects (actually I would guess that most AREN'T.)

You have to weigh the risks versus the benefits. The chances of severe side effects from Comfortis are actually pretty low. For a dog with severe flea allergy, it's probably worth it.

But that's always a personal decision.
[notify]
Bundy Bear

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 5:06pm PST 
I disagree, I have been using Natural Remedies for some time ,and have no side effects whatsoever. In fact, my dogs have not had a flea allergy for 2 summers now. That alone speaks volumes of what can be achieved without chemical intervention.
[notify]

Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 5:18pm PST 
Many dogs take comfortis without side effects too. It keeps the fleas off so they don't get allergies. Going by your train of logic comfortis is safe and it speaks volumes about what can be done with chemical intervention.

Just because something doesn't happen doesn't prove there are no side effects.

ETA: Oh, and what natural products are you talking about? If you have a magic solution naturally I'd like to hear it, no sarcasm. Nothing natural I've tried has worked entirely. The topical treatments wear off too. I try to use a combo. What is it you use?

Edited by author Wed Mar 14, '12 5:19pm PST

[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 5:18pm PST 
Natural flea repellents are "chemicals" too. They work because something in them is toxic or repellent to insects, ie, a "chemical". In fact, Comfortis's active ingredient, spinosad, is a synthetic version of a naturally occurring chemical.

I'm happy your methods work for you and your dogs. But to imply that natural remedies are always safer than "chemical" ones is just propaganda.
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 6:43pm PST 
I have not found any of the natural flea products to do anything for fleas, let alone ticks. I tried the Bug Off and other products and I still wa finding fleas and ticks on my dogs. I choose to use Advantix on my dogs because it keeps them flea and tick free and I am finding I dont need to use it every 30 days, I can go 6 to 8 weeks between applications and that is with Huck swimming almost everyday in the Summer.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 6:57pm PST 
Can you instead use topical treatment solutions? I use soaps. Internal meds are scary.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 8:13pm PST 
I wish I could remember where I read this and where the info came from, but I made a small mental note about what it said about Comfortis.
It listed the most used brands of topical flea treatment and it's maker and the active ingredients in it. It also listed Comfortis and its maker and in comparing ingredients, Comfortis was safer than the topicals.
I wish I could remember where I read this. I believe it was an article in a dog magazine.

Nothing is 100% safe.
I've had great success with Comfortis. No side effects for my dog, but my dog didn't get monthly treatment. Just as needed.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 7:03am PST 
I agree that natural solutions can be effective for some dogs in certain areas. Especially where tick/flea infestations are minimal. There are many dogs that suffer severe allergic reactions to fleas. So severe that one bite can send them in to an itching frenzy for days and they constantly have secondary skin issues due to that. Comfortis has been a huge help for those dogs.

I live in a highly tick infested area, with one of the highest rates of Lyme disease infections, all stages, in the country. I've tried several 'natural' repellents for myself over the years. They do not work at all in my experience, I've seen the bugs land right where I just treated like it wasn't even there. Garlic does nothing for us, either. My dog and I hike just about daily in wooded areas, you bet I use something that's effective for both of us.
[notify]
Okami- Amaterasu

I shalst- pluck-eth ze- toy...

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 7:32am PST 
I have had great success with using Comfortis. And I tried almost every other kind of flea repellent and absolutely nothing worked. The topical stuff just does not work with Okami's fur, and it is SO thick that fleas just love to hide out in it. I battled with fleas for almost a year and tried all sorts of different things; topical products, natural remedies, flea powder and flea spray...NOTHING worked. Not until I tried Comfortis, and since I've been giving in regularly (note also that my dog did not have ANY side effects), I have not seen a single flea. I still have issues with ticks every now and then because Comfortis doesn't work for them...but it's a heck of a lot better, both for my poor itchy dog and for my own sanity, now that the fleas are finally gone.

Good for you that natural remedies worked for your dog. However I can't do that with mine. Okami was MISERABLE with those damn fleas, scratching day and night, chewing on herself, scratching so much that she was tearing out chunks of her own fur. I am so relieved that Comfortis has worked so well without any side-effects to my dog, and I don't plan on not using any time soon.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2