GO!

Diarrhea in 5 week old puppy

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Luna

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 1:16am PST 
Hi everyone,
I'm a bit concerned about my 5 week old siberian husky puppy. (as i've heard before, I know she's too young to be away from her mom. I didn't really had a choice on her age and what not). I just took her out a little bit ago and noticed she had a BM. All day today her BM's have been firm and solid. Well this BM happened to be sort of like diarrhea. It wasn't watery, it was soft and pudding style. I took a tooth pick and looked through the stool to make sure there wasn't any blood in it. Which there happened to be no blood at all. Around 8:30ish my grandmother gave her a few bites of the grilled chicken breast by foster farms. And late this afternoon she had a couple pieces of the wellness just for puppy treats. I am HOPING, PRAYING that the diarrhea is from a tummpy/gi tract upset and not from my worst fears.... Parvo. She hasn't been vomiting and she's been full of energy tonight also she's been drinking water.

Is there any at home remedies i can give Luna at home to help her stools become solid again?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 7:25am PST 
I would stick with some boiled chicken and rice and keep an eye on her. You will also want to talk to your vet and take her in if it gets worse. Puppies get upset tummies easily from new foods and given her behavior it sounds at this point like that's all it is. Having that young a puppy everything is scary.meditate Just keep an eye on things and call the vet and take her in if she gets any worse or develops more symptoms such as watery stools,vomiting,blood in stool and/or vomit,becomes lethargic,seems feverish,and refuses food or water completely.hug
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 8:04am PST 
Please get her into the vet. If it's something like parvo every minute counts.

In the meantime please don't allow him to get any more human table scraps, that's only going to make everything worse.

Best of luck to you, I hope the vet can sort it out quickly!
[notify]

Luna

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 8:50am PST 
Usually parvo symptoms are bloody diarrhea, vomiting, reluctance to eat or drink. She has neither of those symptoms. Just pudding like diarrhea. It's not mucousy, no blood, no strong odor. Shes been running around. Going outside.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 5:11pm PST 
These are plenty of things just as dangerous as parvo she could be dealing with though.

Diarrhea in a 5 week old puppy is nothing to try to self diagnose or try to treat with internet suggestions. Puppies that small can be playing and acting normally one minute and be deathly ill the next.

This really is a case for the vet. I hope everything turns out ok.
[notify]
Luna

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 7:05pm PST 
I'm actually going to school to be a vet technician so i was looking through all of my text books for emergency situations. I called my vet this morning and the vet said that the symptoms sounds like tummy upset. I fed her the normal diet she's been on but instead of mixing it with puppy replacer i mixed it with hot water. Today around noon she's had normal firm stools. So she's back to normal.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 7:22pm PST 
Just for everyones information pups with parvo often don't vomit, the diarrhea may just appear dark in color because there is a lot of blood in it, but the smell is a dead giveaway. It is a rank, heavy, metallic odor. It smells like death. Look for severe lethargy and dehydration but as Trigger said minutes count. If it had been Parvo in a pup that young, today would have been way too late. It is often unwise to hesitate.
Luna just so you know the big problem with upset tummies in young pups is the rate of dehydration. Even a minor tummy upset could be extremely harmful or fatal. A bout of diarrhea can potentially severely dehydrate even a healthy pup in hours.
[notify]
Luna

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 10:06pm PST 
Sabi - I watched Luna like a hawk last night and today. She was drinking water, running around, playing and eating just fine. She has a vet appointment this Thursday. My vet is 2 minutes away and is always available for me to talk to. If she showsbany signs of lethargy and reluctance to eat and drink I will not hesitate to take her to the vet
[notify]