GO!

Wart? on inside of ear

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Indiana- Jones

Car?! Did you- say car?!

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 7:35pm PST 
So Indy developed what appears to be a wart inside his left ear flap. It started small and got to a bigger size in a matter of a couple weeks. It seems to have halted in growth. It's hard to think of something comparable in size. Maybe half of a pencil eraser? It hurts him sometimes when his collar goes over it. And he has pawed at it a little. I keep Neosporin on it to help keep the redness/itching to a minimum. We had our other dog Kenya to the vet for her rabies shot last Thursday and I asked the vet what it was, and he thinks it's a wart. From what I have read, it looks benign. Indy also has a small mole on his lower right eye lid. My vet says it would cost around $150-200 to have it removed. I think they use a laser. I would have it done, but I am hesitant with putting him under anesthesia. I could have his teeth cleaned at the same time confused

I will probably wait a month or so and see if it changes in size or discomfort. Anyone else ever had something like a wart or mole removed from your dog? Is it a big deal?

Thanks
[notify]
Hallie

Cesar Millan Can- Kiss My Tail

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 7:54pm PST 
That sounds very small. I’ve never had any warts or moles removed from my dogs. Unless there is a chance it could be cancerous, there just isn’t any reason to.
[notify]
Hallie

Cesar Millan Can- Kiss My Tail

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 7:54pm PST 
That sounds very small. I’ve never had any warts or moles removed from my dogs. Unless there is a chance it could be cancerous, there just isn’t any reason to.
[notify]

Indiana- Jones

Car?! Did you- say car?!

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 8:37pm PST 
My biggest concern is that he yelps if the collar squeezes his ear when we put it on/off. It's obviously causing him sensativity. So we have to use extra care in putting it on/off. I could use a different collar with a clip, but the one he has is a soft choke collar and he can't slip out of it. If it causes pain with only brushing over his ear, it could just be irritated, but if it bothers him to the point he scratches at it, then removal may be the only option.

I'll give it some time and see if it goes away and hopefully it doesn't get bigger.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 7:03am PST 
If he is in pain,and it sounds like he is,it would probably be best to consult your vet,and if putting him under is necessary then taking care of all of the issues at once is probably the best thing. Mika has a sty that appears of and on on her left eye but we have consulted our vet and as long as it continues to drain on it's own we have been told surgery is unnecessary. Warts howeve wether they be on people or pets should have prompt attention. They can spread to other areas and are not always benign. We just wen't through this earlier this fall with my husband and although both our family doctor and the plastic surgeon who removed the small bumps from his upper lip assured us they were mostly likely nothing they turned out to actually be pre cancerous melanomas within the warts. Please take him to the vet and don't take the chance.
[notify]