GO!

Cone of shame - neutering

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Luke

I came, I saw, I- chewed.

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 10:31pm PST 
How long did you have to keep on the cone of shame? I've heard people say 3 days. I've heard some 2 weeks. We were told 10 days. Just wondering why the difference.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 10:45pm PST 
We personally never needed it it depends on the dog. If they leave the incision alone there is no need for the cone. If they constantly bother the incision site they need to have the cone on until they don't. That could be anytime until the area is healed . My only suggestion is try it and see what your pup does while you can supervise,if he leaves the area alone he doesn't need the cone. Keep trying daily while you can supervise and when you see he no longer bothers the area by biting ,licking the incision,you can safely leave the cone off. That is probably why you see such varied responses because as long as they are leaving the incision alone they don't need the cone. Some dogs,like mine never bother others just won't leave it alone. Hope this helps answer your question.
[notify]
Luke

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 11:05pm PST 
Thank you for the quick reply! We actually had to take off the cone to bring him home from the spay/neuter clinic today. He just didn't fit properly in the car with it on. When we got home, it was the first time he had been here so we left it off while he sniffed around and checked out the house. Since he wasn't licking the incision, we left it off the rest of the evening. We just put it back on because we are going to bed. I'm sleeping near his crate tonight to make sure he doesn't have any separation anxiety or problems from the neutering (vomiting, etc). But I figured he seems to be able to sleep with it on so I'll leave it on. But during the day....goodness. He hasn't grown completely into his paws yet and is a little clumsy. Add the cone of shame to it and I have to bite my bottom lip so I don't laugh at the poor guy.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 3:37am PST 
Even without the cone large breed puppies are very funny at that age.
They seem to grow so fast that their brain doesn't have time to adjust to the changes in their body and they quite often trip over air or their own big feet. Kai came to us at 8 weeks as a 12 pound puppy and by 8 months was over 80 pounds. Everything seemed to grow at a different rate and even at almost two and a half he is just finally settling into his size. It's quite normal for Akitas to do that though as they don't completely mature until age 3.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 6:35am PST 
Well, we never got a cone after Kato's neuter.laugh out loud

But he never bothered them, so we never had to use one.

But when my other dog, Sanka, had his ear surgery, yes, we had to use one. That was not a pretty sight, even after the anesthetic wore off. Yup, we took him home right after the procedure. Otherwise, he would have been left at the clinic with nobody to watch him. The vet felt really sorry for him, so she did the surgery on a day she normally wouldn't have. She didn't want to make him wait.

Walking with it on was such a pain because he kept trying to sniff the grass. Then the edge would hook the grass, and he'd just stop with the cone completely on the grass all the way around and stand there. It was a comical, yet sad sight. I had to constantly hold the thing. When it was time to eat, I had to take it off. He wouldn't eat with it on.
[notify]
Luke

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 10:19am PST 
Uh-ohs. I think Luke might have pulled a stitch. I've been checking it several times a day and it wasn't there this morning. I'm thinking he might have done it when he tried a running leap onto our bed today. I've been trying to keep him calm, but I had no idea he was going to try something like that! If it's not bleeding or seeping, is it okay? He was neutered on Tuesday and it's Saturday now. He's going to give me a heart attack with the jumping and his fascination with the stairs.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Jan 8, '12 4:10am PST 
He should be fine at this point. He may be a little tender and not try that again for a few days. As long as he's not seeping or bleeding which you said he isn't no harm done. I know how scary that can be though. The dog we had before Mika&Kai came home from surgery,had a nap and since we could trust her to stay in the yard I had let her out unsupervised. I heard my neighbor calling her and went out thinking she didn't come to him when called,which she usually did because she liked to visit them. When I got outside my dog less than 12 hours after surgery was jumping back and forth over a three foot hedge,running down the yard and having a ball. I immediately called her to me to check her out,she was absolutely fine but did not go out again unsupervised again until she was healed completely. I had nearly had a heart attack and stayed up all night to watch her phone by my side to call the vet,car keys and purse near-by just in case. She was fine that day and never let her spay slow her down from day one. She actually seemed to feel much better after the spay than before. Sometimes they just need to learn what they can do and can't do for themselves. I wish you luck in keeping him quiet.Also sent a pup pal request.
[notify]
Luke

Barked: Sun Jan 8, '12 5:40am PST 
Thanks! I'll keep an eye on it anyways. Doesn't seem to be bothering him so I'll leave it alone.
[notify]
Harley

Go ahead...run.- I'll catch up

Barked: Sun Jan 8, '12 10:12am PST 
Like Mika and Kai said - its probably fine. You have the right idea in watching for bleeding or seeping. Also watch for redness, swelling or heat. As to your original question, we bought an inflatable collar for Harley when he was neutered. It was much less cumbersome than the cone. Happy healing!
[notify]