GO!

Metallic smelling breath

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 11:28am PST 
Scruffy's breath smells metallicy sometimes. I noticed its usually between meals and smells stronger when he has acid reflux flare ups. Is it his acid reflux causing the smell? There was another time his breath smelled matallicy but a food change fixed it, now food changes don't seem to do much if anything for the smell. We asked the vet about this but she said she didn't know what would cause it and didn't seem concerned at all.
[notify]
Kloppers

Are you talking- to me?

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 3:36pm PST 
I don't know about dogs but when I had severe acid reflux during pregnancy...I too had a metallic smell and taste of my mouth. It was awful, I just chalked it up to acid reflux but my human doctor did not seem to care either.

Sorry not much help but I thought I would share red face
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 7:21pm PST 
Thanks. That was way more of an answer than the vet gave us. laugh out loud
[notify]

Kayak- "Mighty- Moose Angel"-

Snoodledawg

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 9:17pm PST 
Usually "metallic smelling breath" is associated with stomach problems such as gastric reflux or peridontal problems. How do your dogs teeth and gums look?
Foods can also cause halitosis due to the grains in them. Not sure what food you are feeding, the fact that you mentioned that it is usually awhile after feeding your dog it could be that your food is causing some gastric reflux. At the same time, maybe your dog needs smaller meals throughout the day instead of 2 larger meals. This will help with reflux.
Has your Vet checked blood work lately? With diabetic animals metallic breath is an indicator that the blood glucose is high. Also, if the metallic breath conincides with drinking more than normal and urinating more than normal which are symptoms of kidney or diabetic problems, that is along with the metallic breath.
Hopefully, it is something as simple as adjusting feeding schedules or brushing teeth more often.
Having a diabetic cat myself, I am always on the watch for metallic breath which tells me his glucose is high and I definately need to test more often, poor cat is poked every 3-4 hours sometimes.
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 10:22pm PST 
Vet said his teeth looked great.

He was on Natural Balance Lamb & Rice, now he's on Solid Gold Wolf King.

No recent blood work was done. He does not appear to be urinating more and I don't think he's drinking more than usual.

Edited by author Wed Dec 7, '11 10:27pm PST

[notify]