GO!

calamine lotion for dogs?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Fri Nov 4, '11 9:00am PST 
One of my friends is a human med student and she was telling me about her dissertation is about microbes in soil. Which led to talking us about antibiotics, to skin, to allergies. She was saying how it's like the microbes on our skin are at war with antibiotics if we take. Anyway somehow calamine lotion came up in all this lol. Because she said she doesn't like over using antibiotics so I had asked what to use then. Well so then I thought about how you know what I never hear about calamine suggest for dogs with allergies or skin issues, when it seems like it would be good?? I don't know alot about calamine, but I looked it up hastily and saw it's used in some dog shampoos.

Haha forgot to write my question!naughty
What do you all think of calamine for dogs with skin problems or bug bites and has anyone tried it?

She said something interesting I thought, made me think of some dogs on here so many have skin problems, she said that soil is high in staphylococcus bacteria, which is also found normally on dogs (and people) skin. She said alot of what might look like skin allergies, is really from plain old dirt!

Edited by author Fri Nov 4, '11 9:08am PST

[notify]
♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Fri Nov 4, '11 9:10am PST 
Yes, I have used it on Mickey. It works, but burns at first. But it is important to make sure they DON'T lick it off... which means a cone of shame. Or a very mean Mommy.cry

What works better is to wash off the allergen (grass or pollen) in my opinion.
Amazing- Grace

Live 2 Lounge

Barked: Fri Nov 4, '11 9:52am PST 
Adam, I'm open to using Calamine lotion if an oatmeal bath doesn't provide some relief first. I wouldn't put it on an area where it could be licked off. I used athelete foot spray on ringworm and it worked great but no licking was going on. thinking
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Nov 4, '11 11:25am PST 
Adam,
I've never used calamine lotion,I have had sucess with both oatmeal based lotion or Benedryl spray for hot spots and rashes.
Benedryl is usually a last resort before a trip to the vet.Aveeno lotion usually works pretty well though. Calamine would be a call to the vet for advice before I tried it.
[notify]
Adam

Barked: Fri Nov 4, '11 6:51pm PST 
Thanks for the answers. Actually some homeopaths are against the use of oatmeal for chronic problems. They reason because it feeds yeast and suppresses the symptoms, that just come back. I have never read about calamine in any of my "natural" dog boods or websites, but all it is made of is zinc and iron really...both good minerals for the skin.
[notify]
♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Sat Nov 5, '11 7:22am PST 
I just looked at the bottle I used, and it was actually Caladryl, not calamine lotion.

Don't know if that changes my answer in your opinion, but wanted to clarify.
Adam

Barked: Sat Nov 5, '11 9:51am PST 
Mickey, yeah I agree it's better to wash off. Maybe for a dog who has already had an allergic reaction though? I never used calamine or caladryl on myself either. I wonder why it's not popular though, like benadryl is popular to say to give.
[notify]