GO!

Human Xanax for dogs?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Diesel

Horns beneath- his halo

Barked: Fri Oct 7, '11 11:34am PST 
So DZ is a 75lb Lab who HATES car rides and we are taking an unexpected 3hr trip tomorrow. Is it possible to give him some of human Xanax for the anxiety? He whines, pants and is a mess. Is this is possible how little/much can I give him? Or will he get more sick?
[notify]
Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Fri Oct 7, '11 12:38pm PST 
That sounds like a really really bad idea. Call your vet and see if they'll give you something called Acepromazine - usually called Ace. A lot of people use that for car rides to because its calming and, unlike xanax, its formulated to be safe for dogs. Usually you can just get Ace from your vet without an office visit, just take down your pup's weight.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Oct 7, '11 12:52pm PST 
Ace is a very bad idea, too. Many vets will not even use ace anymore due to the multitude of problems with it, specifically changes in temperament and the increased incidence of dogs become extremely aggressive and biting while taking it. There are a multitude of "calming" drugs for dogs but you need to discuss them with your veterinarian and get their idea about which one is most appropriate for your dog.
However, I do agree you need to contact your vet and get their recommendations... in many cases benedryl is all that is needed to chill out a carsick dog for a long trip.
[notify]

Oscar

Canis Angelicus

Barked: Fri Oct 7, '11 1:30pm PST 
Why not try some Bach's Rescue Remedy?
[notify]
Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Fri Oct 7, '11 1:30pm PST 
There is xanax for dogs, the vet has given it to me for Sage. It's actually called Alprazolam. I have only used a few times and saw no difference. Ace is a bad idea. My vet also gave that to me, and I have not, and will not, use it. I've seen what it can do. I've seen a 105lb lab who was supposed to take 1 pill be so out on 1/8 of a pill that we had to keep an eye on his breathing.
[notify]
Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Fri Oct 7, '11 2:06pm PST 
Xanax is used for dogs so it has been confirmed to be safe. If I were to choose whether to give my dogs Xanax or Ace I would choose Xanax in a heartbeat. I have used Ace for my dogs for long car trips and it's not a pretty sight. They looked horrible. They couldn't keep their eyes open, keep their heads up or walk properly and the effects lasted a long time. I've also used it on a foster dog with anxiety and his reaction wasn't as extreme but he also looked pretty bad.
Since then I've learned more about acepromazine and based on what I learned it's not something I would give my dogs unless absolutely necessary. Although Ace is often called "doggie Xanax" it is not related to Xanax and does not have the same effect. In fact it's closely related to a human drug called Thorazine which is a psychotropic medication used to treat things like schizophrenia and psychosis. Humans that take Thorazine often stop taking it because of how bad it makes them feel. It turns them into zombies and gives them a host of side effects. With Ace being closely related to Thorazine it's reasonable to believe that the effects are very similar and based on what I've seen that seems to be the case. That is not something I would wish for my dogs to experience and I would avoid it if possible.

Xanax on the other hand is a benzodiazepine similar to valium and sleeping pills like restoril. It has sedating effects with few uncomfortable side effects. It normally just makes humans feel calm and very sleepy. Some people report feeling some euphoria when taking Xanax and although that's not the effects you're looking for it's a far more pleasant side effect than feeling like a zombie. I've taken Xanax myself and it just made me very sleepy. I didn't feel a least bit uncomfortable.
Of course dogs and humans are different and we may not experience drugs the same way but then again we are not that different and the way these drugs work on a human and dog brain is pretty similar. So, based on that, I would choose Xanax if I had to sedate my dogs.

Whether or not you can use human Xanax on dogs the answer is yes. Xanax is Xanax. In fact I'm quite sure that the Xanax that is used for dogs is the exact same thing as what is used on humans. However, the problem, in my opinion, is using the Xanax without the cooperation of your vet. It's a very heavy duty drug and I wouldn't mess with it on my own. You don't want to risk overdosing your dog. If your dog takes any other medication or has any kind of health problems giving Xanax could be harmful. You should also know that giving Xanax that was prescribed to you to anyone else, including your dog, is illegal since Xanax is a controlled substance.
I would recommend that you call your vet and ask if you can get a script for a few Xanax pills or at least talk to the vet about giving your dog your Xanax. She/he probably won't condone it though since it's a controlled substance.
I don't recommend that you do it but if you do decide to use your Xanax anyway the dog dosage is 0.01-0.05mg per pound. So a 70lbs dog would take between 0.7mg to 3.5mg. I would give a low dose. It should not be given more often than 12 hours apart. It takes about 30-60 minutes to take effect.
[notify]
Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Fri Oct 7, '11 2:22pm PST 
Xanax has NOT been evaluated as safe for dogs, however veterinarians are allowed to give it to them in correct dosages. I would NEVER give human Xanax without speaking to a professional, and I almost promise you that they won't advise doing it!
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Fri Oct 7, '11 2:33pm PST 
I thought stopping xanax suddenly could cause seizures? I second Bach's however it sometimes isn't strong enough. There's an herbal you can buy called anxiety & stress by Resources that iis safe and I've seen work not my dogs but family's.
[notify]
Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Fri Oct 7, '11 2:40pm PST 
My instructions say "give as needed" but they do say not to stop it suddenly. (My vet... don't get me started.)
[notify]
Diesel

Horns beneath- his halo

Barked: Fri Oct 7, '11 3:08pm PST 
Ok - thanks - I will use the Bachs and maybe a benadryl - he also has a thundershirt - so we'll see if that works!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4