GO!

Dog ate coffee grounds

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

  
CoCo

Full of Beans!
 
 
Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 12:07pm PST 
So I turn my back on my Little beast for a few seconds only to turn around to find her with get head in my garbage. It looks like she ate some old coffee grounds. Not sure how much... What should I watch out for?
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there
 
 
Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 12:19pm PST 
I have seen dogs drink coffee. I doubt he got enough to have any effect. I think the only problem with coffee is the risk of over stimulation.
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer
 
 
Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 12:26pm PST 
Just watch out for anything emerging from the back end. His tummy may take a few days to get everything back to normal.
[notify]

Toby

Got food?
 
 
Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 8:56pm PST 
just bumped up an old thread about eating coffee grounds, they are toxic
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains
 
 
Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 10:25pm PST 
Honestly I would suggest you contact ASPCA Poison Control Line ASAP.

Coffee ground ingestion can cause the same signs + symptoms as chocolate toxicity and it takes less coffee to make them sick.

I am going to re-post a section I previously typed in another thread::

"If you are in the US - for any type of potential toxin ingestion I will ALWAYS suggest calling

ASPCA Animal Poison Control - 1-888-426-4435 FIRST - it is associated with a small fee but that fee gives you (and your veterinarian) complete access to the best toxicology resource in the US
I look at the $65 fee as an totally FAIR charge for these potential outcomes:
1 - total peace of mind (not guessing and speculation) that the item will not harm my pet

2 - appropriate at home first aid to minimize the risk to my pet and potentially avoid a more costly trip to the ER

3 - a treatment/medical plan with a high rate of success proven through years of use/modification to ensure the best possible outcome for my pet.

The ASPCA hotline is available 2h/7 and your call is answered directly by a specially trained veterinarian (not support staff or receptionist) with access to a very large computer database with information on all sorts of potential toxins. There is always a BOARD CERTIFIED toxicologist on staff or on call. All of the information provided by this service is based on toxicology and medical/symptomology research (from their own facilities as well as from Vet Schools and Medical Research facilities), literature review, treatment protocols, case-data review (IE every case they consult on - they follow up on to ensure that their recommendations are continuing to minimize health risk) and ASPCA created AnTox™, a powerful, clinical, animal toxicology database system, to identify and characterize toxic effects of substances in animals."
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there
 
 
Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 1:11am PST 
This is why dogster rocks! I did not know that but we do now.
[notify]
CoCo

Full of Beans!
 
 
Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 5:55pm PST 
Thanks for the info! I will keep it handy! She is fine today so she must not have got much down before I caught her. thank goodness! hamster dance
[notify]
Maggie

Wiggle-Butt
 
 
Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 6:25pm PST 
I have a feeling USED coffee grounds are less poisonous than fresh, unused ones? Less caffeine. But still something to watch out for. I didn't know dogs would ever try to eat them!

Maggie drank half a cup of coffee with milk in it once. Nothing happened.
[notify]