GO!

Ear infection and he won't let me clean it.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Mon Aug 15, '11 5:59pm PST 
Mikey developed an ear infection in July or June. When he was at the e-vet for one of his foxtails, they cleaned his ear out while sedated. They sent me home with a wash and an ointment to put in his ear.
Well, ain't no way I'll ever be able to put ointment in his ear and especially no way would I ever be able to use the wash.
So, I tried using antibiotics to fight the ear infection. That lasted all of 3 or 4 days. No matter what I wrapped the pill in (meat, cheese, butter, whip cream, wet dog food, etc.)he could smell it and no way would he put the food in his mouth. Now, he won't even touch whip cream because he now asssociatates it with yucky pills.
So, today I took him to the vet to have them put the ointment in. Of course they want me to clean out his ears 'cause putting ointment in his gunky ears isn't doing much good.
To get his ears washed out, they'll have to sedate him. Just no possible way around it.
My question is- Just to do a cleaning, is it a light sedation that he will come out moderately quickly? And I'll have to get his ears cleaned more than once.

I couldn't ask them at the time because there were 3 dogs in the waiting room, two of which were very hyper, and I had to get Mikey out of there, so I left without asking questions.
Of course I'll call them and ask tomorrow.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Mon Aug 15, '11 6:31pm PST 
Tackle him! dog walk I'm just kidding....Geez! Now that his ear is really bothering him it sounds almost impossible to do it yourself... Good luck and feel better! ;b:
[notify]
Butch

Barked: Mon Aug 15, '11 10:43pm PST 
I do not tolerate behavoir like this from any of my dogs...its a sign the dog does not respect you.

I would muzzle him, hold him down and do what you need to do. He will get over it when he realizes you arent giving in to his way.

One day, you may look at him the wrong way and a dog of that size...can kill you.
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 5:08am PST 
Butch....um no.

If dogs were into respect, then mine are very disrespectful....sticking their butts in my face, sneaking "kisses", farting constantly, burping in my face, peeing on me fence.

And besides, I get the sense that Mikey is the last dog that would kill a person because they just looked at him "wrong".

Hard to suggest much. The only technique I did when Sanka's ears were bad where to stand over him, hold him with my knees, hold his ear flap with one hand and put the drops in with another. Sanka's ears were so bad that he couldn't help hilmself. IT's not that he would put up a huge fight, but he'd get these intense itching fits where he just had to rub his ear on the ground or shake his head or run around...so, not quite as bad, but something.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 7:36am PST 
With the boys we do the tackle and hold down whether they like it method. But, there's two of us and we know our dogs. Glacier in particular, it is safer to muzzle. Tanuk, we've learned how to hold his head where he can't reach.

And yeah, I don't think Mikey is going to lunge at your throat one day because he doesn't like you cleaning his ears.

Putting him under every week isn't ideal. Has the vet mentioned trying a light sedative where he's not really asleep, but won't care about anything? At work we had tons of crust eared dogs come in, and we just shoved the meds in there regardless. We would attempt a clean, but in many cases it wasn't worth worrying over.

Do you keep the bottoms of his ears shaved? I'd probably try that in the future to prevent the infections. Our poodle growing up was really bad about them, but he wasn't Mikey's size either.

*says a little thank you to the Nordic gods that Tanuk was so good for his pad cleanings each day*
[notify]
Mika

As long as they- think they're- the boss

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 7:53am PST 
Mikey,
I agree with Sanka,you may have to restrain him and just do what you have to do. Once he realizes that what you are doing makes him feel better he may be less of a problem with just letting you take care of it. I had a dog who was like that no matter what it was until she learned that what I did made her feel better,after that I had no problem getting her to sit there until I was done. I also have one now that won't let us do anything unless she is restrained,she will willingly take her vitamins and fish oil though because she likes them.
All other pills have to be put far enough down her throat then we rub her neck to make her swallow. We even have to do that with her heartworm prevention because she doesn't like the taste. Good Luck and hughughug for Mikey,hope he feels better soon.
[notify]
Butch

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 11:48am PST 
our dog sticking his butt in your face, farting etc is totally different then trying to rip your hand off for doing a simple task such as cleaning their ears. *I* and in charge, not my dog. If *I* wanna clean his ears he will sit there and let me.

I wont say how I correct something like this, but after, any dog I have had wants his ears cleaned. I do not tolerate aggression especially from a St. Bernard. He could very well turn on he owner if he turns on her for something like ear cleaning, and I read the dog already bit her because she tried to apply cream to a hot spot.

Not tolerated in my household.
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 12:51pm PST 
Butch, you do not know anything about Mikey's situation and I find it highly offensive that you would judge without knowing the facts. naughty

My dogs were taught from puppy hood that I am allowed to brush them, clip their nails, clean their ears, give them a bath, take something out of their mouth, brush their teeth, etc. They'll even drop a RMB on command. But I had the advantage of raising my dogs this way from the beginning. Some owners adopt adults with an unknown past and do not always have that advantage.

At my job, if we have an aggressive dog, we have the owner muzzle the dog and then I restrain for whatever procedure needs to be done. I haven't worked there for too long but there have been some particularly aggressive dogs that I've had to hold onto. I'm not sure if its possible to do this with Mikey (considering I do not know how severe he is), but I'd hate to have to sedate so often for something like an ear cleaning.

I know, here's what you do. You say "MIKEY, if you don't let mommy clean your ears, I'm going to have to take you to the hospital so the doctor can do it!" My mom used to say that to me all the time when I was a child, worked every time!! laugh out loud
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 12:52pm PST 
That's called compliance, not respect.

To each their own. I'd rather not treat my dogs like peons.wave
[notify]
Zack

I would rather- go through than- around!!

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 1:24pm PST 
Hmmm... Not to start behavior conversations but I look at dogs as different types of people. You have your CEO's, janitors, construction workers, rockers, models blah blah it goes on and each expects and needs to be treated different, but at the same time equal. If butch's personality warrants that then so be it - I have had to do it a couple times just because with the breed there needs to be complete control 24/7, whether its respect or whatever, he MUST listen for his own good. Big dog like that... what if a kid tugged on his ear? He bites mom so why not the kid. I get where Butch is coming from but I think that ultimately he needs his ears cleaned or he will end up in A LOT more pain than he is now. I would have to agree. Muzzle, have someone lie on him and speak softly as to calm him but come hell or high water it needs to be done. I won't be ashamed when Zack and I first bonded he got rough and did hurt me... so I didn't get angry but he got a shot in the nose and I then backed off and held my ear. Funny how he whined but it turned out that he came back over, sat beside me and licked my ear - so I kissed his nose. Has NEVER happened again. In no way do I recommend trying that but just getting to the point that you can still have respect out of your dog with being happy go lucky all the time rainbows and butterflies. I DO NOT agree with anger driven punishment though like beating a dog. Sometimes things need to be done and out of respect - he hurts me I hurt him. He listens to me, I listen to him. I don't 'lead' my dog in walks, we walk together. Several different ways to train. Back to the OP though - ultimately it just MUST get done... do what you HAVE to do to get his ears cleaned and better smile good luck and sorry for the long winded rant big hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2