GO!

Know anything about paw pads falling apart?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Stinky

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 10:59pm PST 
My friend's dog has been having problems with her paws recently, to the point where she can't go on walks without ending up in pain. They're not just cracking, but actually falling apart, and sometimes coming off.
She's been to two vets so far. The first did nothing and just said change her to Eukanuba. The second ran some tests and said she was deficient in carotene, and just lack nutrients in general (whatever that means...). They said the food she is eating (Nature's Domain) doesn't have enough nutrients, and its causing her pads to fall apart. This doesn't make sense to me because the food meets the nutrient requirements, and tons of dogs are doing well on it. (Vet also went on to say there have been other dogs with lack of nutrients that were on this food). They (vet) wanted her to put the dog on a Purina food instead.

I don't know if it's just me and my weariness of vets, but this doesn't sound right. This dog has a history of skin issues that went away on Nature's Domain, but then a paw problem starts up. It sounds to me like the dog may have a problem absorbing something, rather than the food not having it available. I think she's tired of looking for answers and just wants to find a food that will make her problems go away :/

Does anyone have any experience with or know anything that causes paw pads to fall apart like this? And is it really possible the food doesn't have enough nutrients?
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 6:15am PST 
Hmmm...pictures would help.

A dog blog I read has a dog whose pads turn grey then split and flake and become painful. It looks like what I describe as "falling apart".

Sadly, no one can give then a diagnosis, even after biopsy so no help there. Her vets seems to think it is autoimmune in nature.
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 6:54am PST 
I don't know much about this but if you suspect nutrient defiecency I would suggested trying a digestive enzyme like Prozyme. It is really good for all kinds of things and helps the body make the most use out of nutrients. I remember reading it would help dogs that had problems with their toenails cracking and breaking off, so it's worth a try. It is a little costly but lasts a long time. Allee and Bama have been on a bottle since last Dec!
[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 8:37am PST 
What kind of dog is it? Are there any other issues going on?
Could it be a zinc deficiency?

I would be looking into dog boots for walks in the mean time...that's gotta be painful and you'd want to minimize the chances of infection.
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 9:14am PST 
Hi, Stinky! Haven't seen you around in awhile! wave (Of course I've been MIA myself a lot lately, so maybe you've been around, and I just haven't seen you!)

Anyway, like Rexy I kinda wondered about a zinc deficiency also - but meanwhile, I might try something like Musher's Secret to try to alleviate some of the discomfort the dog must be feeling, and the boots are a good idea as well.
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 9:25am PST 
Someone here like a year ago had this issue, I think they said it was zinc defincency and also they could put lotion (like a balm) on their paws a couple times a week to moisturize and protect.

This is so scary to me =s I can't imagine what that would look like - maybe go into the archives?
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 9:55am PST 
The vet's are doing what vets always do and knocking any food that isn't Science Diet or Purina. Nature's Domain is in our rotation and the boys have actually eaten it exclusively the last few months to keep costs down. They are both in peak physical condition and highly active. No paw pad issues or otherwise here.

It's also super close to Taste of the Wild...so saying it's not nutritionally balanced implies that TOTW isn't either, and we all know that's a crock.

I would lean towards some type of deficiency, but it's probably specific to her dog. Like huskies often have a zinc deficiency. I'd recommend Musher's Secret to keep the paws moist, and using booties or vet wrap 24/7 otherwise. Only potty trips right now, crate rest if possible until this is diagnosed.
[notify]
Stinky

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 10:51am PST 
I haven't really been around much, Tucker. I snoop around sometimes but never really post... I think I post as Jynx more often than not though.

Thanks for all the ideas. She does have Ruff Wear boots for her, but she can tell she is still in pain, so she hasn't had any real walks lately (which is sad because she used to be her hiking partner). She's never had this problem before, but around the time she switched to Nature's Domain it started. She did have really bad skin problems before though, which went away on N.D. So it could be related... just showing in a different way?

She's a shelter mutt, she doesn't really know what she is but Chow and some sort of Retriever are possibilities, based on looks and personality.

It's relieving to know I'm not the only one who thinks the vet's idea is bogus. I'm afraid for my friend, I'm afraid she's going to keep trying different foods thinking it's the food and get frustrated and probably end up being pushed to buy prescription food, when really there's an internal problem causing this. She has another dog too, who is perfectly fine on this food.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 12:16pm PST 
Any chance she can find a vet that is highly recommended and experienced for a third opinion?

Until recently, we'd been having chronic skin fold dermatitis issues with Rexy. We'd already seen two vets, neither of which had been of much help. Luckily, we managed to find a third vet who came highly recommended and had much more experience with the condition. His recommendation solved the problem. We definitely wish we had gone to see him sooner.
[notify]
King Jackal- Jackson

Appreciate me- for the gift- that I am!

Barked: Mon Aug 1, '11 3:07am PST 
The hardening and cracking of the nose and paw pads could be causes by Canine Distemper Virus. I am sure among other conditions too.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2