GO!

Torn dew claw

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Twister

wouldn't harm a- fly...XD

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 12:01pm PST 
Friday Twister and my sister's dog Echo fell off a cliff (probably around 15 feet or so) when we were out hiking. We took Echo to the vet but she just had a few bumps and scrapes. Twister seems fine, just has a torn dew claw (he hit the water directly, Echo hit a rock). I mentioned it to the vet and she said it should be fine if if had stopped bleeding, and I thought it had.
However, since then I have noticed Twister licking it a lot and I believe it still bleeds or at least is causing him pain for him to be licking at it. The cut begins halfway though the nail and it appears to travel up through the nail to the pad. I am not sure what to do about it. Is there something I can do and it heal on its own, or do ya'll think I should take him to the vet and it be removed or something? thinking Any advice is appreciated, thanks!flowers
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 12:13pm PST 
I do know that once a pup has had a dew claw torn badly enough, then it tends to bother them on and off repeatedly. It's pretty common for one to be removed if it has continual problems, due to all the licking and secondary infections that can result. Dew claws don't serve a purpose, so the dog doesn't miss it.

It might be worth it to have a trusted vet give you an opinion, if this tear is one of those that could continue to bother your pup, or if it might just heal up normally for good. Hope all is well soon!

hug
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 12:26pm PST 
Wishing you a speedy recovery!
hug
[notify]

Twister

wouldn't harm a- fly...XD

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 8:32pm PST 
Thank you both, I most likely will have to have it removed since it keeps bothering him. wink
[notify]