GO!

Trifexis

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Savvy

Savvy Savverson

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 6:06am PST 
Does anyone use this? It protects against heartworm, some of the other types of worms, fleas, and they are testing to see if it does ticks too, my vet said some people are reporting it killing ticks so they give you 5$ off if you report whether or not it has killed ticks (my dogs barely go outside though)

My main concern is the strongness of it, it kills many things... I guess if you are giving two different pills then its the same in the end.

I would only be using it in the summer months, but since im in alabama Its a good chunk of the year.

Currently I dont use anything for heartworm, my dogs mostly use pottypads, and go out for a minute or two. But I dont really want to take the risk either.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 6:20am PST 
I would talk to your vet.

It sounds like your dogs are super low risk for intestinal parasites and fleas and ticks. So, why give them the meds for it? It would prob be easier to just treat them if they got one of these.

They have meds that are just for heartworm if that is what you are concerned about and are probably much cheaper than the newest and latest drug (I haven't priced the Trifexis).
[notify]
Savvy

Savvy Savverson

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 6:41am PST 
What is a good heartworm med for small breeds?
I told my vet I dont use heartworm meds and he really pushed them on me so I told him I was going to research before choosing one. Earlier this year my dogs got a few fleas and then got tapeworm. I do take them to work, so sometimes they can get fleas, but my dogs get bathed so often that I dont think the fleas like it, because theyve never stuck around. Ill see one or two but never an infestation.

Would it be best to do an all in one monthly, or to treat fleas if and when I see them, and worm the dogs on some sort of schedule? The tapes werent seen in a fecal exam but then I saw them in poop, so my vet said to worm them every 3~6 months, is this safe?

the vets around here seem to want to give every vaccine and pill under the sun
[notify]

Savvy

Savvy Savverson

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 6:45am PST 
Interceptor does heartworm and some other worms maybe that would be a good option since we are lower risk for fleas. But then again it would be nice to not worry about fleas.. So many options.
[notify]
Sugar

Ooh ooh, can we- PLEASE go on a- walk!

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 11:39am PST 
Have you looked into the Safeheart dose of Interceptor? It was approved by the FDA, but isn't sold under a name brand. It is proven to kill heartworm, and nothing else, so it isn't as toxic. I am going to ask the new integrative vet we are going to start going to about it. I don't know how bad heartworm is wear you live, might not even be worth taking anything. Try asking your vet about the Safheart dose.
[notify]
Neeko

I listen...when- I want to

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 12:24pm PST 
I had better not get flamed for this. My dogs take trifexis. It is $22 per dog, per month. My dogs are active, and we take them out to different places, frequently. Earlier this summer, the mosquito count for central Indiana was 22x higher than normal. They swim in creeks, rivers, and ponds. They are around other dogs, who might have fleas. Neeko will scent-roll in non-dog excrement given the opportunity. I don't believe that mosquitos/fleas prey on dogs/people that are weaker. So I choose to use a flea/heartworm/intestinal parasite preventative for my dogs. Why trifexis? It's convenient, giving one pill a month. The price is right for me. I care for my dogs, and they are healthy. They eat well (high quality kibble and raw), are given sea meal, and exercised. These things will not stop fleas or heartworm-carrying mosquitos from biting them.
[notify]
Twister

wouldn't harm a- fly...XD

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 12:43pm PST 
So does Trifexis do a good job keeping fleas off? And it's a pill, not a topical? I'm trying to find something better than Frontline to switch to (and I don't care for topicals much), but I'm not sure about this because ticks are our biggest issue right now.thinking I personally prefer giving my dog something every month and not ever having worms than chance them getting the nasty little buggers. However, it hasn't even been a month and they have fleas and the ticks they got from hiking haven't been killed. confused
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 1:57pm PST 
Trifexis is Comfortis and Interceptor combined. I haven't used Comfortis but I haven't had a flea problem yet this year *knocks on wood*. I did get some samples through work but haven't wanted to use them unless necessary(I try to do as little medicine as possible, especially the pesticides aka flea and heartworm medication).

I use Interceptor with my dogs during the summer months usually until we get a good freeze, and I've never had any issues with worms/heartworms. It doesn't make them sick or anything and they love the taste of the pills.

Twister-Comfortis is a flea preventative that is a pill(chewable). It kills all of the adult fleas on the dog within a half hour and continues working for a month. I've heard it works extremely well and no one's had many issues with it except for it upsetting the dogs stomach, which can usually be remedied by giving it with a meal. It is a bit pricier than Frontline though.
[notify]
Neeko

I listen...when- I want to

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 1:57pm PST 
I don't know if it's designed to prevent ticks, but I have not found a single tick or flea on either of my dogs. I am pleased with it.
[notify]
Sugar

Give Me an- Inch... I'll- Take a Mile : )

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 5:20pm PST 
I know my dogs are largers dogs but... When we moved from our apartment to our house on an acre of land, Sugar and Roxy were not any preventative because Roxy is prone to seizures which can be triggered by certain preventatives....

Well within the first month they both had fleas... BAD! And Roxy had a severe skin reaction to them... So to the vet we went! And for some reason the ticks ONLY liked Sugar lol Never found any on Roxy

We sprayed the yard and house and the vet put them on Trifexis... within a week no more fleas and no more ticks!

They seem to be doing great on it... both are active, eat well and appear healthy and Roxy has not had any episodes after taking it big grin
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2