GO!

bald spot from tick bite

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 9:47am PST 
I use Frontline Plus and I found a couple dead ticks attached to Scruffy. One was attached near his eye and he has a tiny bald spot from where the tick bit him. I didn't pull out and hair removing the tick and I didn't get the head but I don't see anything in his skin that looks like a head. Is a tiny bald spot from a tick bite normal? The other tick didn't leave a bald spot. Ticks seem bad this year!!
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 9:54am PST 
oh, my yes. they are horrible. we have also had the small bald spot develop, but the hair seems to be growing back.
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 10:01am PST 
I can't believe ticks this year. Probably from all the rain we got last month. I pulled four ticks off of Scruffy's face and two off of Lily. Last year I only found one tick on Scruffy and it didn't even attach yet. Hopefully his little bald spot grows in soon then.
[notify]

JJ

Wanna play- fetch...huh...hu- h....huh?????

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 1:55pm PST 
Hi Scruffy’s owner. I actually work for the manufacturer of FRONTLINE PLUS and that is great that it killed the ticks you found on Scruffy. If you keep applying FRONTLINE PLUS on a monthly basis, any tick that finds its way to him will die within 48 hours of contact with the active ingredient found within his hair coat.
As for the bald spot, I have never seen a bald spot created from a tick itself. Maybe the spot appeared because the tick was near sensitive skin? I hope his bald spot heals quickly.
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 2:22pm PST 
That's good news. I thought it only killed when ticks bite. The live tick I found on him was healthy looking but it must not have been on him too long anyways since I checked him right away after being outside.

So glad that it killed the ticks that did end up biting him.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 5:46pm PST 
Scruffy, It's the deer ticks you need to worry about. Not all ticks cause lymes. The deer tick is so small that you can't even see it. That's the one that causes lyme. I pulled so many ticks off my dogs that never tested positive. But the tick that I didn't see caused lymes in both my dogs. The naked eye doesn't see them, that's how small they are
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 6:13pm PST 
All ticks can carry disease. Any attached tick needs to be considered a disease vector. If you find one attached and your dog gets sick have a tick panel done promptly.
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 6:26pm PST 
I am more concerned about ALL ticks. They all can carry illness. I check my dogs regularly, I do not rely soley on Frontline for protection, its a back up.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 6:47pm PST 
I have been pulling ticks off my dogs for over 40 yrs. But never lived in deer county. never tested positive. My past dogs always lived to old age. Now that I live in deer county my dogs tested positive. The deer tick is the one you need to be worried about. microscopics. You can't see them. get a pamflet on ticks. You'll see what what I'm talking about if you don't want to take my word for it

Edited by author Thu Jun 9, '11 6:53pm PST

[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 6:55pm PST 
I live in CT, the Lymes capital of the country. Obviously, I am also concerned about Lyme as well but my question was if anyone else's dog had a bald spot from a tick not about tick illness/Lyme.

Edited by author Thu Jun 9, '11 7:04pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3