GO!

Weight gain on steriods

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Mon May 16, '11 7:08pm PST 
I have made a few posts about about how Angel had gotten a little chunky (about 5 pounds over), and we have been trying to get it off.

It didn't even occur to me that it could have been his steriods until I told the vet that I was worried about his weight, and she said "for him being on steroids he looks really good!"

He has been getting about 75% of his normal food intake for about three months now, and his weight has still creeped up another pound during that time.

I want to keep him at a healthy weight, but I don't know if I want to cut him down to 50%. I'm definitely upping his exercise, going to shoot for at least 4 hours a day. (Winter slump brought it down to 2-3, so that probably was part of the reason for his gain too.)

Is weight gain on steroids inevitable, or can I get it off? I'm worried I'll harm his health if I cut his food and increase his exercise too drastically. Would it be healthier just to let his weight go until he's weaned off the steroids then just let it come off with a less drastic exercise/diet plan?

I'm also confused about HOW he's gaining the weight with this food decrease. I've always been under the impression that steroids weight gain was due to appetite increase, but I have been controlling his food. (Unless the other half is sneaking him more food, which I HAVE seen him do a couple times, with the whole "But he's HUNGRY!" routine -_-) Does it also mess with your metabolism?
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Mon May 16, '11 7:28pm PST 
Steroids do increase appetite, but they also diminish all the body's mechanisms including metabolism you're correct. They also make the body store fat and up bad cholesterol. I knew a woman who was 120 lbs and then weighed around 300 lbs because she was on steroids for parkinson or something (I forget disease)

Definately wean him off as soon as you can. His body shouldn't be in harm from cut back the food like you did, a little at a time.

Why is he on steroids if I may ask? I didn't remember.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Tue May 17, '11 4:46am PST 
Steroids make you feel hungry, and slow your metabolism. They can also make you really thirsty.

So, the more you cut his food, the even more hungry he might feel. Couple that with the slower metabolism, and you get weight gain.

Perhaps mix in some no salt green beans to add some bulk, but few calories to help Angel not feel so hungry?
[notify]

Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Tue May 17, '11 6:57am PST 
I'm on steriods for asthma. I've gained weight since being on them, and it's not from diet changes either. If my asthma gets too bad I get put on pred which makes me extremely hungry, and then that doesn't help with the weight gain since I tend to eat more, just so I don't feel sick from feeling too hungry. I really gained weight when I was on pred, even though I was eating healthy. I did lose some as soon as my Dr. weaned me off of it though. So it is probably steriods that is causing his weight gain.

I would think it's the same for dogs. Steriods definitely mess with your metabolism, making it slower which means gaining weight even if you cut down the food. Hopefully Angel will lose the weight once he's off the steriods
[notify]
Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Wed May 18, '11 8:45am PST 
He is on steroids for his eyes, he keeps getting Uveitis flare ups. Since nothing seems to be helping the flare ups stop, but there seems to be no permanent damage done to his eyes from the uveitis, we're going to try to wean him off and just do a six month check-up while keeping a log of his flare ups.

Thanks for the green beans idea. smile I'm definitely going to try that. Maybe he'll stop digging in the garbage? shrug (I doubt it laugh out loud )
[notify]