GO!

Distemper shot for older dogs?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Apr 28, '11 2:28pm PST 
While Sanka was getting examined at the vet for his lump, the vet tech really got on me about vaccinations....moreso that I don't really give Sanka vaccinations other than the required rabies.

I just don't like giving him all their vaccinations. And that's all I said to the lady because I really didn't want to hear about vaccinations at that time.

She said that the distemper vaccine was a necessity for older dogs because their immune systems weaken. And she just went on and on about that.

What do you all think. Is distemper a "necessity" for the older dogs?

I don't think vaccines are bad....I just prefer not to use most of them. But I really don't seem to know much about the distemper shot.
[notify]
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Thu Apr 28, '11 2:40pm PST 
I wouldn't be giving Sanka any vaccinations until you know what is going on with the lump. What I would probably do is titer for the Distemper and see if he needs it.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Thu Apr 28, '11 4:21pm PST 
The French did a study that showed the viral (as opposed to bacterial) vaccines we give our dogs are good for a MINIMUM of seven years. If you gave him the distemper shot as a pup, I imagine he's still protected.

If he's not, just evaluate how much risk he is for getting in contact with the disease.

Around where I live distemper is rampant in wildlife. You would have to be wildly irresponsible not to get it or have a strictly inside-only dog. For other areas it may not be so much of a concern.

Edited by author Thu Apr 28, '11 4:22pm PST

[notify]

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Thu Apr 28, '11 4:27pm PST 
My old boss was no holistic vet by any means, and he would not give any vaccine but the rabies to dogs that were considered seniors. I'm don't remember his exact reasoning, but he basically didn't want to put anymore stress on a senior's body. He required the rabies simply for legal reasons.

I personally would say no. If you're really worried about it, just keep giving Sanka a lifestyle that will strengthen his immune system (quality food (fresh foods too if possible), regular exercise, and lack of chemicals).
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Thu Apr 28, '11 4:39pm PST 
I'm with Hershey - I wouldn't even consider vaccinations until this thing with his neck is sorted out.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Thu Apr 28, '11 5:23pm PST 
I'd run from any vet who gave a hard time about not vaccinating a dog who may have a tumor or at least severe infection. Nevermind a senior dog.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Thu Apr 28, '11 5:43pm PST 
ETA: I was posting from my phone outside now inside and wanted to add, in my experience it's been the vet techs who are more relaxed about vaccines and diet than the vets. If your vet feels the same way as the tech, unless you have a good relationship I kind of question how good they'll help Sanka if the lump problem continues and doesn't go down on it's own, already they're giving steroids...
[notify]
Delta and- Doc

The Spots Are In- The House!

Barked: Thu Apr 28, '11 5:51pm PST 
My professor vet is as traditional as they come and he said give shots every year etc. etc... even he said dogs over 7 years old should have enough immunity built up that they don't need as many shots.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Apr 28, '11 7:59pm PST 
Definitely not really concerned about vacs right now. Just had the thought running through my mind.

The vet tech was the one who went on and on about how I should vaccinate. My vet, I love her.

I think she's been in the business long enough to know that it's not worth wasting your breath on. She's more than willing to give you her opinion or answer your question. But she's not going to question your answer.laugh out loud

I think she just lets the posters on the walls and doors speak for her lol. They're all about flea/tick meds...heartworm...vaccination deals etc.

Anyway, thanks for the input all. If I have to go back to the vet, I hope I don't get the same vet tech. She was nice, but geeze, let it go.laugh out loud
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 4:13pm PST 
Vaccines should never be given to ill animals anyway.

I personally do not vaccinate for Distemper/Parvo in older dogs. Risa had her Distemper/Parvo vaccinations when I got her from the shelter (she was 2.5 years old) and she hasn't been vaccinated for them since. She's 7 now.

I do titer just so she can continue to take training classes. But I have no intentions of vaccinating her for either again.

It's all personal preference. Do what makes you feel comfortable. smile
[notify]