GO!

Can horrific burps signify anything bad?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Zelda

Princess of- Hyrule

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 3:35pm PST 
Zelda's teeth are spotless, her breath doesn't smell, but when she burps it'll knock you out silenced. Can really stinky burps signify anything wrong with a dog's health?
[notify]
Zebedee

the gift that- keeps on giving!

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 6:13pm PST 
If it is accompanied by vomiting yes. Zeb had a blockage once and his breath smelled of feces and then later that day he vomited up said yukiness. Let's hope it is something more simple. Keep an eye out just to be sure. wink
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 7:32pm PST 
Conker burps after he eats. Sometimes it's right after, sometimes an hour later. The longer after he eats the worse it smells. He eats raw though, so I guess the longer the meat has to digest... yeah.
Dunno about your pup though. Does she normally burp or is this a recent thing?
[notify]

Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 7:54pm PST 
Jasper burps too and always in someone's face as they pet him shruglaugh out loud He eats fast and had bloat once. I have a bowl that makes him eat slower now...but he still burps...just not as much.

If your pup has a deep chest (like Greyhounds, poodles,etc) the higher the risk for bloat.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 8:06pm PST 
Jack's a bit of a burper too, and he sometimes vomits from gulping his water too fast, especially after a meal. They don't smell all that wicked though, just like the food he ate. If they're really bad (like, what is meant to come out the other end) he might have a bit of a clog in the works and it might be a good idea to get him looked at. Burps should really only smell like what went in, which shouldn't be overly bad.
[notify]
Zoey, Shellie & Griffin

Natural & Loving- it!

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 12:34pm PST 
Shellie & Ziva BOTH have horrible room clearing burps and farts for that matter. It depends on what they are eating. I know Rabbit & Venison both give them the stinkies smile. Adding probiotics & digestive enzymes actually did help Shellie.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 2:47pm PST 
Generally speaking, air coming out one end or the other is an indication of digestive issues IMO. Either they're having to work harder to digest, or aren't able to digest properly.

ETA: This means a less than ideal diet, too many poo quality treats, lots of human table scraps, a food intolerance, etc.

Edited by author Wed Apr 13, '11 2:47pm PST

[notify]
Bella

Rub my Belly!

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 3:22pm PST 
Bella had terrible burps and gas when we adopted her. We thought that the food she was on was causing it, so we switched...we tried several foods and finally when we went to a grain free diet she stopped having gas of any kind. I wasn't worried about any intestinal blockages or bloat because she was not having any other symptoms.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 4:46pm PST 
If it's something new and no food change, maybe look into it more...make sure no poop eating! Maybe evaluate the diet, see if it's a decent quality food or not, check the stool if that's ok , any stomach noises or gas.
[notify]
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 6:03pm PST 
No poop eating, definitely no blockage, and she's been on raw for a good 4 months now and the burps are on and off. Maybe it just depends on what protein she's having like Zoey/Ziva/Shellie said. I just find this weird because my other dog has had plenty of digetive upsets, but he never ever burps.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
[notify]