GO!

Comfortis fleat treatment - AWFUL side effects !

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 4 of 11: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  
Peter Parker

Peace, Love &- Dachshunds

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 9:30pm PST 
I've been giving Peter Comfortis the past 2 years with no side effects. It's the only medication that really works for us, and the fleas are really bad here in Texas, especially in the summer.
[notify]
Yodi

Yodi- born to ride...I- love cars

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 5:17pm PST 
I read about comfort is on google. My yogi was riddled with fleas and I was freaking out. I went to his vet and the recommended comfort is. I was hesitant at first ,but seeing as the topi calmed didn't seem to be working I 'd figure I would give it a go. I broke it in two and mixed it in with his food. Omg I can't believe how fast it worked. I showered him after an hour and it seemed like they were just coming to the top to die. I've been watching him..so far so good. I hope your doggie gets better. Some dogs are more sensitive than others.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 7:35pm PST 
I gave my dog Comfortis at at 2:30pm and at 8pm my dog was panting and started to drool. Within 15 min he started foaming from the mouth and was unable to breath and died!!!! YES COMFORTIS JUST KILLED MY DOG!!!! I WOULD LOVE TO SUE THIS COMPANY!!!!
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 10:50am PST 
Guest,
I am very sorry for your loss. It sounds like your dog had a sudden and severe allergic reaction to the drug which is something no one can predict. While very tragic,and your being upset and angry is understandable,it is in fact not the fault of your vet,the drug,or the manufacturer. Just a truly tragic unforseeable event. You have my deepest condolences but as you can see from other comments in this thread there are many pets that have used this medication for some time and been just fine.hugwishes
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 2:47am PST 
Tonight my dog suffered from what we think was a seizure/paralyzation from Comfortis. My family was over and my dog is always the life of the party but was missing in action we heard some fumbling in the laundry and minuets later my dog was practically dragging her body out and was salivating more than usual. I picked her up in my arms as she was heading towards a staircase, I then put her down and supported her body and she couldn't keep her up. We decided to rush her to the university of Queensland vet ( the vets here are amazing and actually are there 24 hours a day unlike many '24 hour' vets that actually to home and aren't there with our babies) once we got here there she was fine and the doctor said there wasn't much we could do as her symptoms where gone. On the way home I remember my mum had given Lara (my Caviler King Charles) a comfortis flea chewable tablet I asked my mum what she thought and she mentioned the last time Lara had it she vomited the pill up. I decided to hit google with my questions as I google everything and everything and found millions of blogs many with similar symptoms to Lara's. I read an article that stated it has given majority of healthy dogs heart murmurs, low and behold Lara has suffered a heart murmur for the last year or so, I then asked my mum how long my dog has been on Comfortis and she has been on it for about 2-3 yrs which fit comfortable within the timeline. I'm outraged that vets are pushing this upon animal owners without making the side effects known to us if I had know that in some cases death, seizures, paralyzation, comas ect where side effects there would be know way in gods earth I would ever give my dog this product! After posting a warning on Facebook to all my friends someone mentioned to check the box and instruction, I decided to be the box out and no warnings or side effects where listed.
Tomorrow I will be making the call to the help line of Comfortis and they better watch out!!!

My thoughts are with all the people that have lost their beautiful fur children to this horrible horrible drug and with anyone who has been worried sick about their animals due to this.

If we all share our story with everyone we know we can educate them and get this drug off the market.

dog walk
[notify]

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 7:23pm PST 
Comfortis side effect, death. I gave my 6 year old yorshire, Pixie, comforts just 2 weeks ago. This past weekend we lost her all of a sudden. There were no signs of warning. She had a major seizure and lost compete control of her bowels and could no stand up at all. After the episode, she had heavy breathing and threw up a lot of blood. we took he to the vet immediately. After blood work and X-rays, they found no organs affected and gave her a small dose of anti nausea medication. The next 12 hours she was breathing ok and was walking fine, understood her name when we called it out, but after 12 hours everything went done hill. We came home after an hour to get some food (raw diet) that was recommended to help her recovery, she started to have heavy breathing again and could not walk. Within the hour we got home, we opened up her doggie crate and she attempted to walk out (the last time we got to hold and pet her) and she lays down so we helped her back into her crate where within 2 minutes she slowed breathing a passed. I have two other yorshires that were give Comfortis the same day who have just recovered from severe diarrhea. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT FOR ANYONE!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 6:43pm PST 
Here's my horrific comfortis nightmare. My 1 1/2 year old blue healer ( the funniest dog ever and had quickly become bonded to our family)
I gave her a dose prescribed by my local vet, within days she became lethargic and seemed to be having some sort of vertigo. We took her to the animal clinic it quickly progressed to seizures and paralysis.
In four hours she was incubated and eventually died.
It was a very sad day for the family, you think you are helping your pet by providing them flea preventative but yet in reality you are giving them a death sentence.
I have given this to my other dogs with no direct problems other than some indications of upset stomach, but never again. Comfortis put my family through a really bad nightmare.
I can't get the image out of my head, and the helpless feeling of not being able to help her.
I am urging all people I know to boycott this product it is a regret I get to live with but you have a choice.
thanks comfortis great product!
[notify]

Barked: Sat May 18, '13 5:45pm PST 
The first time I use Comfortis on my seven dogs, it worked well, but there after it has been money down the tubes. I will just have to use older methods to control the fleas. Comfortis is too expensive to hope for higher efficacy. Plus reading the adverse reactions from other peoples dogs is sad. We love our animals and products like this is much too risky.
[notify]

Barked: Sun May 26, '13 11:54am PST 
I would have to say that I agree with a lot of other people here. Not ALL dogs are allergic to this medication. I give it to my two Bostons and my Great Dane and I've never had an issue, and I absolutely LOVE it!!! We had a serious infestation in our town of fleas and ticks and within an hour the fleas were falling off (we used the Preventic collar for the ticks). The drops have never worked for us. The dogs immediately just flop over on their backs and rub it off laugh out loud Sure the side effects can be bad, and some dogs have had these. But I've not known of very many. Perfect example of one dog being allergic to something and the other not: One of my Bostons was allergic to the Parvo shot, she was also allergic to fish oil capsules (which my babies love as treats and it helps with their skin and coat). About 3 minutes after the parvo shot she puffed up turned red, and was scratching everywhere. She was so swollen she could hardly breathe, as her nose was swelling shut. We hauled butt right back to the vet and were told that she was hypersensitive to almost everything. She had the same exact reaction to the fish oil. Luckily we now keep our childrens benadryll on hand for just such occasions. So while she's allergic to fish oil, she handles the Comfortis just fine!! We keep a close eye on all medications that she takes, watch for the allergic reaction. And if she has one we treat her for her allergic reaction, if not then we know it's safe to use again. happy dance Comfortis is one of those use again medications wink
[notify]

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 2:44pm PST 
Every time I have tried Comfortis, my dog has thrown up. I was SO happy to hear today that Sentinel is available again. NEVER had a problem with Sentinel.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 11: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11