GO!

Zyrtec dosing

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 12:12am PST 
They have pretty similarly severe organ toxcicities in less than 2% of pets and at high doses. They both cause heart issues, blood pressure issues, anxiety among other things.

Do you have a source for your statement I say benedryl because it's safer than zyrtec on the body organs. Which organs? Why is it safer?
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 4:45am PST 
I'm just going to wait until my vet opens in a few hours now. Is there a large difference between the two? It doesn't particularly seem like it from what's been said here, but, that is to say, would there be a reason to tell someone to give a dog that has no known veterinary issues (save for flea allergy cry ) benedryl and not to give zyrtec?

ETA:

I tried calendula and he likes the taste too much so he licks it off (whaaaa?), then I have vet's best hot spot foam, which is tea tree, aloe and chamomile (this has helped itchiness most overall out of the things I've tried), then I did green tea which didn't help, someone suggested vetricyn (no help at all), someone else suggested ACV dilute spray/rinse in bath (he likes the taste, so the spray made things worse, but the rinse helped), and I've even tried hydrocortisone (ick!) but few of these help. And his skin isn't moist. He isn't getting hotspots (he did for a minute there, but the hotspot spray nipped that in the bud), but he will make himself scabby. When he was really bad in January/February he did itch a lot of sores on himself. What initially caused this was apparently there was a flea population explosion that coincided with me being gone in LA for a day and a half. So he itched himself half to death by the time I got back. We killed the fleas, put him on antibiotics, tried benedryl, etc etc. It was getting better, but this questionable dog got about 3 fleas on him about 2 weeks ago and he started itching again. You're right, the gopher video predates this by a couple months, and his coat was flawless and effortless when I got him. He did have a couple acne things on his tum, but they didn't bother him.

That was long. Sorry.

Edited by author Sat Mar 19, '11 5:08am PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 5:03am PST 
I have to agree with Leah here.
Another issue with medicating on your own is that symptoms can be masked or changed by the stuff you've given so your vet has no clear look at the original problem.
An example is bad ears... as a groomer when I find a bad ear issue I will not clean the ear since anything I use to do that will likely change the ph, at the very least, and the culture will be off when the vet does one.
The same issue can occur with skin problems. I believe it is more important to find the reason for excessive itching, not mask the symptoms.
[notify]

Shellie - *RIP*

Oooh....Shiny!

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 7:18am PST 
Sadie & Leila-- That is the dose that was prescribed by my Veterinarian (also who is my father). A lot of the times dogs require higher dosing of things (and sometimes lower dosing on things) which is why it's important to consult your Vet before giving anything. I myself take 10mg of Zyrtec per day, and I weigh 3x as much as Shellie but that's what works for me. Benadryl in dogs is generally 1mg per #, if that was the case in people, I would have to take 4 capsules and it would knock my butt completely out.

Adam...where are you seeing that Zyrtec is hard on the organs? I've been on it for 4 years and have regular bloodwork without problems. I am consulting with a Homeopath on Shellie and she is going through treatment for several things, but scratching herself till she bleeds was not something myself nor my homeopath wanted to see Shellie doing, and other stuff we had tried was not working.

Edited by author Sat Mar 19, '11 7:19am PST

[notify]
Scruffy- Personal Super Dog

Personal Super- Dog

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 8:16am PST 
I have never given Zyrtec to my dogs but have been told many times to give the Diphenhydramine for allergies. My 90lb Moose dog requires 3 no more than 4 times a day as needed Scruffy only needs one up to 4 times a day.
Sometimes cortizone is needed when the allergies get too bad. When that is the case, see if your vet will add a healthy dose of B12 with it.
As with us animals have yeast and bacteria on their skin. When an area of skin is broken open by scratching it is easy to become infected and get everything out of hilt and immune systems to become comprised especially if a lot of licking is going on (my cat got into a fight with nasty hood cat and dealing with this now).
If you can figure out what is triggering the allergies and maybe you can desensitize Abner. I am sure your vet can give you suggestions for this.
[notify]
Scruffy- Personal Super Dog

Personal Super- Dog

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 8:16am PST 
I have never given Zyrtec to my dogs but have been told many times to give the Diphenhydramine for allergies. My 90lb Moose dog requires 3 no more than 4 times a day as needed Scruffy only needs one up to 4 times a day.
Sometimes cortizone is needed when the allergies get too bad. When that is the case, see if your vet will add a healthy dose of B12 with it.
As with us animals have yeast and bacteria on their skin. When an area of skin is broken open by scratching it is easy to become infected and get everything out of hilt and immune systems to become comprised especially if a lot of licking is going on (my cat got into a fight with nasty hood cat and dealing with this now).
If you can figure out what is triggering the allergies and maybe you can desensitize Abner. I am sure your vet can give you suggestions for this.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 2:59pm PST 
I'm on my. Cell and will get back about zyrtec however my homeopathic wouldn't use it not all homeopaths are the same. Calendula I'd use with a soft cone if wants to just eat it off I would say healing long term is better than short term cone discomfort. Homeopathy believes suppression of symptoms hurts all organs.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '12 1:00pm PST 
Yikes!! My 2yo Saint Bernard 'pup' is 175# so that would 8.75 Zyrtec !
He get's an allergy shot every other week. He is allergic to 33 of the 37 markers. pretty much everything except air!
Currently 4000mg, 12 benadryl and yougurt w/ breakfast & dinner (8000mg & 24 benadryl daily)
20mg prednisone every other day.
using ResiCORT a few times a week.
I hate it!! I feel like I'm sending him to an early grave.
Someone suggested replacing the benadryl with Zyrtec, that's why I'm here. Any other ideas would be great!
Jim and Ozzie
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '12 4:50pm PST 
Abner there is also Claritin. I agree that consulting a vet before changing would be best. I used Claritin for my 150lb dog because using 3.5 tablets was better than the 7.5 I needed with Zyrtec. We had good results with the Claritin and will continue to use it during my dogs seasonal allergies.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Mar 3, '12 11:42am PST 
somebody wrote: "She is also on Salmon Oil, Vit E and Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar that help with itchies"

what do the Vit E & the ACV do to help with itchies?

Dose for 17# dog?
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3