GO!

Zyrtec dosing

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Fri Mar 18, '11 8:00pm PST 
I'm trying it on Abner for his itches which came back with a vengeance. What is the dosing guide, though?? I keep getting different answers on Google. Abner is 50 lbs, btw. =D I'd call my vet, but they're closed for tonight and Babbler is ruining what's left of his coat and messin' up his skin!
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Fri Mar 18, '11 8:22pm PST 
Um would it bother you to hear from me that I don't think zyrtec is a good idea? I know, me and my medical views right. But I have to ask, if must use an immune suppressant, benadryl would be a little better, have you tried it?

ETA you can call a 24 hr hosp about the dosage.

Edited by author Fri Mar 18, '11 8:23pm PST

[notify]
Abner

Barked: Fri Mar 18, '11 8:29pm PST 
Benadryl hasn't worked at all, unless you count making him a tiny bit sleepy- thus cutting down on time he can itch. But I can't really count that. Also, I don't mind. I appreciate diverse opinions. =D

And that's true, I can call the emergency vet.
[notify]

Shellie - *RIP*

Oooh....Shiny!

Barked: Fri Mar 18, '11 8:31pm PST 
It is 10mg per 20# once daily, Shellie is 70# so gets 3 & 1/2 tabs once daily. Adam, why don't you like Zyrtec? I myself go to a Naturopath Dr and that's what he prescribed to me for my allergies.

We recently in the past few weeks started Shellie on Zyrtec and it's really helped her when Benadryl quit working. She is also on Salmon Oil, Vit E and Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar that help with itchies

Edited by author Mon Jun 20, '11 11:29am PST

[notify]
Adam

Barked: Fri Mar 18, '11 8:37pm PST 
Ok since you don't mind..smile

I would give topicals to comfort the skin and body.
And since allergies are the product of an overstimulated immune response, I don't see how suppressing the immune system will create a healthy one. It might temporarily mask or suppress symptoms, but it will mean a lifelong and possibly worsening problem as the immune system gets worse from being suppressed and damaged. (like Shellie is the perfect example "when benadryl quit working") And also consider other diseases that can form or not be able to ward off or fight.
So I'd treat the body holistically to make it healthy. If you know the allergies I'd expose it in smallest dose (bee honey in the area for environmental or the food).
[notify]
Abner

Barked: Fri Mar 18, '11 9:05pm PST 
Shellie: Thanks! =D

Adam: The only issue I've had with topicals is that they can sometimes help his legs, where he gets scabby, but he won't stop itching his shoulders either. It's pretty difficult to get the cream/foam/liquid/etc etc up through the fur to fully coat whatever the itchy area is. That, and I've only had minor successes overall with topical.

And every morning he gets ACV, salmon oil and vitamin E in his food. He's just started smelling fishy, so I think maybe that's kicking in a bit finally. He also gets plain yogurt often (He loves that stuff to death)

I do feel like I am trying a bunch of other things, but I am open to more suggestions!
[notify]
Adam

Barked: Fri Mar 18, '11 10:23pm PST 
My brains on "had too much coffee too late in the day and now I can't sleep" mode so this might not be the best of replies I can come up with Lol.

I no what you mean about getting topical under the fur. When Adam had sarcoptic mange the cream I used was really a challenge. I mean I was flustered. If you go against the grain/hairline it's a lot better. Watering down and combing helps too (I couldn't water down with the mange treatment though, grr)

What topicals did you try? My suggestions would be calendula and green tea for now. Lavender oil is anti itch too (and it's one EO that's ok to rub a few drops undiluted directly on the skin). More depends on the skin, is it dry, flaky, moist, scabbed?

If it has to be done I understand using zyrtec but it just makes it harder to undo the damage and really heal the problem but not impossible!

ETA: in his gopher sniffing video (LOL..and his tail looks too long for his body LOLOL!!!) I'd never have thought he had skin problems, his fur is so shiny and silky looking...think his immune system just needs some help.

eta2: OOPS SHELLIE I'M SORRY I MISSED YOU ADDRESSED ME
Sorry I guess I just skimmed your reply I didn't see that sentence.
I don't like zyrtec because I think it just suppresses and in the long run will hurt. I think it only helps to temporarily relieve symptoms. I don't like how it weakens the immune system. At the most extreme end, suppressed immune system can lead to cancer.

Edited by author Fri Mar 18, '11 10:33pm PST

[notify]
Sadie &- Leila

Barked: Fri Mar 18, '11 10:29pm PST 
I personally would not feel good giving a 70# dog 3 and 1/2 tabs of Zyrtec. I used to take that medication for my allergies and would only take 1 10mg tab and it made me INCREDIBLY sleepy. Sounds like a big dose in my opinion.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Fri Mar 18, '11 10:35pm PST 
The antihistiminic properties of Zyrtec are different than Benedryl. Not all dogs respond to Benedryl, not all dogs to Zyrtec. It is often recommended to actually NOT start with Benedryl because its frequency of dosing can allow the histamine response to revamp up to 3-4 times during a 24 hour period making you or your pets immune system all the more sensitive to that allergen. Repressing the response to that allergen appropriately should be done by a medication that does not so easily wear off or lead to ineffective dosing because this can inadvertently cause the allergen to become more potent and less easily suppressed.

A new antihistamine (whether the old one is working or not) should NEVER be started without DIRECT instruction from your vet. There are wide dosing ranges and some medications that interact with other medications which could cause severe complications. Be advised that you can endanger your pets life by giving a medication that was not directly dosed by if not his primary vet at least any vet. It is illegal for vets and techs to give out dosing instructions over the internet. The average owner can do whatever they like. So please be careful where your info comes from and how you use it.

Did you try calling a ER vet near you? Does your vet refer anywhere specific?
[notify]
Adam

Barked: Fri Mar 18, '11 10:38pm PST 
Leah, I say benedryl because it's safer than zyrtec on the body organs. Also because I don't adise any to be on long term but only as temporary until they find safe topicals that will relieve the symptoms instead of an antihistamine, while working to restore the immune system holistically.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3