GO!

Dogs and Meth could that have an impact on the dogs health?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maggie (I'm- Moms Angel- Now)

Punish the DEED- NOT The Breed!!!

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 6:40pm PST 
I just found out that there have been in the PAST meth labs in the house that my family and I moved into at the end of last year. What impact could the meth have on the health of my dogs? As some of you know Maggie my husky has developed seizures and is on Primidone to control them. Up until December she had been in perfect health and hearing that the former tenants had been busted twice for making meth made me wonder if maybe thats what is causing her seizures. What are your thoughts on this?
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 6:52pm PST 
Meth is one of the filithiest drugs out there and there could DEFINITELY be residue left behind from the manufacturing process. This drug will completely destroy people's lives and entire communities...seen it happen to my own hometown. It's awful.

You are not so much at risk as a nosy dog is that will be sniffing and licking odd scents to find out what they are. It's definitely a possibility that the prior meth manufacturing in your house is a culprit.
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 7:01pm PST 
I'm surprised that they could still sell or rent a house that had been a meth lab. Usually the house gets condemned and knocked down after being used as a meth lab, because it's such a filthy process and leaves behind lots of residue that can potentially sicken humans (and dogs).
[notify]

Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 7:28pm PST 
I would go to a vet who would believe seizures could be caused by the residual chemicals AND treat my dog that way, not just try to manage symptoms with primidone or phenobarb.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 9:02pm PST 
As it can affect humans, I am sure it can affect dogs.

Are you still living there? Unless the house is gutted, no amount of paint or new carpet will get rid of the residuals. This can make it difficult to treat any ailments-if you come right back home to the exposure.
[notify]
Maggie (I'm- Moms Angel- Now)

Punish the DEED- NOT The Breed!!!

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 9:30pm PST 
My family barely lives on $561.00 a month and $350 of that goes to pay the rent. Factor in the other bills including the $105 that we have spent on Maggie in the last couple months and we dont have enough money to go out driving around looking for a new place within my stepson's school district.The landlord wont fix or gut the house nor will he take what repairs we do off the rent. Thats why the floors are weak and need redone as well as the front and back doors needing fixed or replaced. Most houses that are listed in our paper go for well out of our price range and are full because of the $2 billion dollar power plant that is being built. My dogs and cats are well cared for and loved,our vet does payments but not on spay/neuters so we are getting the young dogs Tundra and Drizzit spayed at the local humane society when they do their next free/low cost spay neuter clinic. We are also going to have them microchipped in case they get loose or lost. We know a pet shop that does the microchip for a small fee ans since I already have Maggie and Katana microchipped I know how valuable those are. My vet allows me to do the 7way shots myself since I have had to do the shots before. But I needed to know of the residue of the meth could be a trigger to Maggies seizures.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 10:16pm PST 
Wait I know there is a special paint that can cover up cigarette smoke, my family had to use that when they moved and the former residents were heavy heavy smokers. The paint covered up the chemicals in the walls. Maybe there is one for this?? I don't know. There must be someone who could help..could you appeal to your local news station ours here does that for people in the exact same situations as yours actually! That would be nice...worth a shot maybe?

The 7 way vaccines are not safe for Maggie's seizures, the microchip probably won't be either, but 7 way vax more damaging/triggering. Even single vaccines would be so much better.
[notify]
Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 8:40am PST 
Does the house smell? Is that part of the problem? Has the chemical smell seeped into the walls/carpet/floors? Or are you worried about left over things that may have fallen on the floors?

Actually there isn't a paint that covers up cigarette smell or smoke smell. Paint doesn't have the properties in it to cover it.
What will make the smell go away if it is in the painted walls is a horrible, although freakishly effective primer. This primer can be used, but must be used using the proper respritory equipment because this stuff will knock you on your rear end.
If the smell is something you're looking to get rid of, this is the only way to trap the smell that would be coming from the walls. But it's probably coming from every other pourous surface in the house.
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 8:54am PST 
I know you don't have money right now, but I'm also pretty sure you're at least uncomfortable about this whole meth lab thing. Try calling your local housing bureau to see if they have anything to say. And I'd try the news stations too. Here we have a guy called Michael Finney, and he gets some crazy stuff done for people, on the news and off. So maybe you have someone like that on a local station?

It doesn't strike me as legal to have you live in a former meth lab. There's always small claims, not that that immediately helps you in any way. How did you find out the house was a meth lab??
[notify]
Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 12:45pm PST 
Wow, I would be worried about all kinds of potential hazards living in a house that was formally a meth lab!! eek

If your landlord won't do anything call the health department and get them involved. We moved into a rental house last year and just after moving in found out the septic system was collapsed. Our landlord kept screwing us around and finally I made a formal complaint with the health department and they forced my landlord to replace our septic system AND our waterwell since it was found to be contaminated and outdated. We estimate our landlord had to fork out around $25,000 for this. He definitely wouldn't have done it voluntarily but we stayed on the health dept about it and they stayed on him about it until it was fixed!!

Definitely get the health dept. involved. And mention that you have child(ren) living in the house.

Edited by author Thu Mar 3, '11 12:45pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2