GO!

My doggie is inbred :(

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Copernicus

Copee Copes

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 9:49am PST 
If you look on copernicus's page, you will see his arrival story. In short I didn't get him from a breeder, but I did just find his pedigree today. He is inbred. frown On his mom's side, his mother's father is also the father of his mom's mother. Will this cause him problems later in life from being inbred? I am very upset to find this out. His breeder was really crappy. cry
[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 10:02am PST 
This will likely not cause any problems.
Line breeding is done all the time in animal husbandry and in some breeds with small gene pools it is hard to find lines without some line breeding. Line breeding is done to solidify certain traits within lines. Most times, line breeding is done with a specific purpose and outcome in mind. Take a look at some of the top show dogs - I bet if you check their pedigrees, there will be some degree of line breeding.
Line breeding can strengthen traits in the breed, but if a breeder does not know what they are doing, it can also strengthen the weak areas in the breed.
There is a lot of debate about this topic however. Too much line breeding can cause genetic depression and weaken immune systems. Other people believe that total outcrossing is detrimental to the breed because you do not know what you will get when you cross two totally unrelated lines.

Edited by author Sat Jan 8, '11 10:06am PST

[notify]
Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 10:08am PST 
Oh, that would be really disappointing. frown I recently found out that a Border Collie breeder whom I've been interested in since I got out of high school practices inbreeding. The last litter they had was a litter between cousins.

So his father is also his grandfather? If he's had no problems so far, I'm guessing (uneducated guess, mind you, only based on a couple rescue puppies who were inbred) that he'll be fine. The rescue puppies mentioned before had serious neurological complications, and had to be PTS at a very young age (before they were even weaned). Two of their siblings are still alive, and healthy.
[notify]

Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 10:20am PST 
Inbreeding increases the risk that genetic nasties will crop up. It doesn't mean your pup is Doomed. If the parents didn't have genetic nasties to pass on, they're not created by inbreeding.

It's a gamble, because it sounds like he didn't come from a great breeder, and they won't have done appropriate screening, but honestly, I wouldn't be too worried. The only thing that is caused just by inbreeding itself, just the fact of inbreeding, is a slightly less robust immune system. And even that may be slight enough to have no practical effect.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 10:31am PST 
like the above poster said, line breeding is not the same as in breeding.
all most all champion dogs come from line breeding.
there is diversity in the gene pool, so the risk of defects are there but not a guarentee.
in breeding would give a much higher rate of defects

if I followed your "line" correctly, there are enough "outcropping " of genes that you shouldnt have to worry.
[notify]
Copernicus

Copee Copes

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 11:33am PST 
No, his grandpa is also his great-grandpa on his mothers side.

He seems fine at 2 years old. Had surgically corrected bi-lateral medial luxating patellas at 11 months old, but no issues since.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 12:38pm PST 
When I was young and stupid, I had a cat that had kittens. The father of the kittens was also the father of the mother. One kitten was stillborn and the other 2 were born healthy. One died from being hit by a car and the other dissapeared. We suspect he drove away in somebody's car because he loved to go for drives.thinking Neither of them seemed to have any health issues.
[notify]
Millie, CGC

Brownies are the- best!

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 2:49pm PST 
So does that mean a bitch/dog was bred to their parent, right? (Correct me if I am wrong...) That would be inbreeding, not linebreeding, I think (again correct if i am wrong!). However, even inbreeding isn't a major issue unless done repeatedly. I wouldn't be too worried smile From Apreggio Poodles' website: "Inbreeding is the breeding of two closely related dogs. Father to Daughter, Mother to Son, Half Brother to Half Sister, and Full Brother to Full Sister are all inbred breedings. And they are the only inbred breedings. Anything further away than what I have stated above , is NOT inbreeding." Also, "A true breeder that is really striving to produce the best quality puppies they can, in not only health but type and conformation, and are doing all the genetic testing that is available for that breed, could produce some amazing quality puppies by using inbreeding as a tool. The problem lies in the fact that we unfortunately have genetic issues in dogs that we have no testing for. So yes, when doing ANY kind of breeding, you are taking your chances. Being a true breeder to me means striving for certain goals in your breeding and being willing to take the bad with the good."
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 4:13pm PST 
I wouldn't be too upset - Now inbreeding amongst humans...hmmmmthinking There is a problem!!way to go
[notify]
♥- Babe- ♥

I am a puppy in- a big dog suit!

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 4:41pm PST 
Babe (my Golden Retriever) is inbred. She has/had so many health problems I can't even count them. I think being inbred increases her chances of getting all these things she has.

My neighbors bred their Golden Retriever with some local Golden Retriever, well they didn't even bother to look at Babe's dad's AKC papers. When they did end up looking at them, it said Babe's mom and Babe's dad had the same Parents and Grand Parents. So they were brother and sister.

Luckily, we weren't going to breed her or anything and we had her spayed.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3