GO!

CHF and treats

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

ZOE, ALWAYS- IN MY HEART

What- Would Cesar- Do?

Barked: Fri Jan 7, '11 1:08pm PST 
Zoe was diagnosed with CHF. she is on enalaprin, a diuretic and vetmedin. i need a treat to give her. any suggestions? Roxi has colitis so i would like to give them the same treat if possible. if not that's ok too.
[notify]
Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Fri Jan 7, '11 1:17pm PST 
Do they like ice cubes?
[notify]
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Fri Jan 7, '11 1:19pm PST 
How about dehydrating your own treats? I dehydrate boneless chicken breasts (cut into small pieces) in my oven at home. The treats are very healthy and lean, free of any additives or ingredients that are hard on the digestive tract, VERY tasty for dogs, and still a bland meat that's easy to digest.

I cut up boneless chicken breasts into thin strips and small pieces and arrange them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. They go in the oven at 170 degrees for 6-8 hours with the door slightly ajar (I fold a small hand towel and put it between the door and the oven). Then the treats come out and sit out to dry to get rid of excess moisture.

I don't know much about CHF, but from what I've read you need a healthy snack that's easy on the body. I think these are where it's at smile. Best of luck!
[notify]

Kayak- "Mighty- Moose Angel"-

Snoodledawg

Barked: Fri Jan 7, '11 1:28pm PST 
Hi there, sorry to hear that your pup is having problems. As far as treats go for heart problems the trick is to have treats that are low in sodium. The poster above has the right idea as far as making your own, that way also you will know just what is going into the treats, you are not depending on a companies word about the ingredients. I would stay away from any type of deli meats as they are very high in sodium. Plain chicken (dehydrated or cooked) is great.
Best wishes with your wonderful pup.
[notify]
Kayak- "Mighty- Moose Angel"-

Snoodledawg

Barked: Fri Jan 7, '11 1:28pm PST 
Hi there, sorry to hear that your pup is having problems. As far as treats go for heart problems the trick is to have treats that are low in sodium. The poster above has the right idea as far as making your own, that way also you will know just what is going into the treats, you are not depending on a companies word about the ingredients. I would stay away from any type of deli meats as they are very high in sodium. Plain chicken (dehydrated or cooked) is great.
Best wishes with your wonderful pup.
[notify]
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Fri Jan 7, '11 1:33pm PST 
If sodium is the issue, make sure the chicken you purchase isn't enhanced. You can look at the sodium on the label and just see that it's at or below 80mg a serving.
[notify]
♥- ROXI- ♥

Devil- Dog

Barked: Fri Jan 7, '11 1:45pm PST 
thanks for the feedback. blue dogblue dogblue dog
[notify]
ZOE, ALWAYS- IN MY HEART

What- Would Cesar- Do?

Barked: Fri Jan 7, '11 1:46pm PST 
and yes they love ice cubes. can't get one without them getting one.that's a good treat?thinking never thought of it.
thanks again.
xoxoxoxo,
roxi and zoe
[notify]