GO!

Strange lump on base of tail

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 8:42pm PST 
So lately Mulder has been licking his rear more than usual. It started post-Thanksgiving, and I suspected due to eating too much bone from a raw meal, meaning ultra hard poops.

Over the last couple of days it seemed to be getting better, less licking. Tonight he started up again, so I lifted his tail to see if it was red or agitated looking. Not so much, but I noticed that the base of his tail was also wet from licking... so I felt around to see if anything else was going on, and low and behold, a lump.

Its not very big... maybe an inch in diameter or less. Its definitely elevated, though it matched his skin tone, not off colored or swollen looking. Its very hard, and apparently he's been favoring it, as its pretty flaky. He had a clear aversion to me touching it, so its clearly bothering him...

What could this possibly be? I'm kinda of freaking out over this right now... I wish I could get a picture, but you really can't see it at all frown

ETA: Just occurred to me: possibly an abscess? Could he get one from licking the area a lot? Or, I wonder, if he's been licking because of this now, and I just didn't notice...

Edited by author Sat Dec 4, '10 9:07pm PST

[notify]
♥Moll- y♥

Loyal- Sweetheart!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 9:28pm PST 
Molly had a Sebaceous Cyst and her symptoms were EXACTLY what you are describing.

We took her into the vet thinking the worst, and the vet diagnosed that it was a Sebaceous Cyst (they diagnosed it by lancing it and a creamy milk like liquid came out and that's how they knew what it was) and said it would be best to have it completely removed just so they wouldn't have to keep draining it. However it was completely harmless.

I would take Mulder to the vet, as there is a chance that it may not be a Sebaceous Cyst, but that's what it sounds like.

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-vet-library/coat/article_3772.aspx

Edited by author Sat Dec 4, '10 9:34pm PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 7:00am PST 
Thank you Molly! I plan on taking him in on Monday, so hopefully it is something minor like this...

Did they have to sedate her for this? I've been thinking about that also, and if its something they have to surgically remove, I'm very worried about having to put him under... considering his neuter and his hip x-rays prior, that will be 3 times he's been put under, and he's not ever 3 years old frown
[notify]

♥Moll- y♥

Loyal- Sweetheart!

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 12:43pm PST 
Yes, they did have to put Molly under. It only took about 30 minutes of being under and they were done.

It was a tiny one inch incision. They even thought she would be in no pain at all because it was such a minor operation, but I guess every dog is different and she was in a LOT of pain after, so they gave her some pain meds. Her hair is grown back now and it's like it never even happened.

I'm glad you're taking Mulder to the vet. I really hope it's nothing major.

Mulder is GORGEOUS, by the way. smile
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 5:06pm PST 
Hope you get good news from the vet! We found an ulcerated, bleeding around the margins lump on Chance's paw the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend and were nervous wrecks until her vet opened up on Tuesday. Turned out to be an abscess.

We've got our fingers and paws crossed it's something simple.hug
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 5:21pm PST 
Mulder - Can you measure width of bump with ruler? Lump could be anything from sebaceous cyst to abcess to Anal Gland issue (although this depends on area) to vasculitis. Leah was just diagnosed with a sebaceous cyst in the middle of the length of her tail.

Sebaceous cysts (if this is it) are like big pimples. They fill with sebaceous (chunky white) material until they are chewed, popped or squeezed. Then they lay flat (sometimes after they go down they sort of look like a bullseye with a small hole in middle - or flat volcano). It takes a certain amount of time for them to fill up with sebaceous material again. Sometimes they fill until "full" then if not injured or messed with by dog or person they just stay full and hang out - but if messed with they leak gross funk for a couple days then dry up and start refilling all over again.

Honestly unless they are popping and refilling every couples days-weeks OR getting chronic secondary abcesses or infections I tell people to ignore them. Keep the dog away from them as best you can. If they pop have chlorhexidine cleanser and antibiotic cream as well as maybe some small bandage material (depending on area) to clean and medicate for 2-3 days after pop then ignore again.

Leah's has popped 2x in the last 6 months and it looks like it will be a chronic issue for the rest of her life. But I am NOT going to remove it. I am capable of keeping it clean, doesn't bother her (except when its fun to lick - I put vet wrap around tail when medicating) and its in an area that has limited extra skin so removal could be very difficult and frought with danger of worse infection or inability to close resulting in tail amputation.

The tail is a tough area for this type of thing.

At this point I would have the vet check it out to determine what it is. Then discuss the need for removal after that. In the case of sebaceous cyst - I would wait until anesthesia needed for something bigger then do a 2 for 1 shot.

What is a Sebaceous Cyst
Sebaceous Cyst Video - WEAK STOMACHS DO NOT WATCH!

ETA - I am a pimple popper LOVER - so I spend an inordinant amount of time squeezing and cleaning Leah's cyst - It can be very satisfying

BUT

Even dogs who's owners DON'T pop their cysts can lead relitively normal lives with it never removed.

Edited by author Sun Dec 5, '10 5:23pm PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 5:22pm PST 
Thanks so much guys!

I'll post an update tomorrow with what the vet says. Fingers crossed!
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 5:25pm PST 
You know it could also be something as simple as a moist dermatitis/abrasion from a thorn, bug etc. It may have been slightly irritated feeling so he licked it and now has actually created that bump secondarily to the cut or sore. ??? I will be curious to see what the vet says!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 5:31pm PST 
Sorry Leah, posted right as you did!

I'm keeping all this in mind... it really isn't very large, less than an inch (hard to tell exactly, his butt is so fluffy).

Will definitely be keeping you guys updated.
[notify]
Al

Mr. Mongrel

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 5:35pm PST 
The first thing that comes to mind is a perianal tumor. They are fairly common in intact adult males. I sencerely hope it isn't, as they are very dangerous and hard to treat.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5