GO!

Puppy with big belly

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Bella

I'm the baby- gotta love me

Barked: Sat Oct 23, '10 3:50pm PST 
Hi,
We just brought home a 11 week old chihuahua. Her belly seems to be awefully big for as tiny as she is. The last time she was wormed appeared to be at 8 weeks, so I gave her a dose of Strongid. She was eating pedigree puppy food, but i thought the kibbles were to big so I switched her to Royal Canin chihuahua puppy food. What could be making her belly bloat? I just wanna do the right thing by this little girl.
[notify]
Mollie Jo- CGC

*LICK* *LICK*- *LICK* *LICK*

Barked: Sat Oct 23, '10 4:33pm PST 
If you got her from a breeder and are going by those deworming records...I would get her dewormed immediatly by a licensed vet. I personally don't trust breeders "records".
[notify]
Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Sat Oct 23, '10 4:33pm PST 
Worms can cause 'ascites' which is fluid in their abdomen, so if she had a very heavy load of worms that could cause the bloating. Chihuahuas are extremely easy to overfeed, so if she eats more than she is supposed to that could cause the bloating in the tummy. When I fed kibble Zoey (4#) got 1 Tablespoon of food twice a day, Sebastian 5.5# got 1/8th cup twice a day. Has she had a Vet visit yet? If not, I would say one is in order.
[notify]

Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Sat Oct 23, '10 4:38pm PST 
Well, my neighbors had a very plump pup but I have no adivse whatsoever... sorry! I do want to say that Pedigree and Royal Canin are not good dog foods. Read this about good dog foods
Good luck! way to go
Yeah, I know I wasn't much of a help
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 6:52am PST 
If she has been wormed and your sure they are gone, you should have her checked for Cushing Disease. One of the symptoms is a bloated belly. Good Luck!
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 3:33pm PST 
Pepsie, you beat me to the "food talk." wink If you need a food that you can pick up at Petsmart/Petco, I recommend Blue Buffalo or Natural Balance.

I 2nd or 3rd or 4th those who said if she hasn't been to the vet yet, it's time to go. Honestly, it should always be your first step when bringing home a new puppy. That first wellness check is critical, and is unfortunately an often over-looked step. Even if the dog comes from a great breeder, the first checkup should still be within a week of bringing home your puppy.

Congrats on your new puppy, btw. smile party
[notify]
Bella

I'm the baby- gotta love me

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 8:27pm PST 
Thanks everyone! I'll call first thing in the morning to make an appointment for her. She was just at the vet on Wednesday to get cleared for her flight up here, so I thought I'd be able to hold out untill her 12 week appointment (next week)
[notify]