GO!

Still leaking fir anal gland rupture after 11 days?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Harley

Angel Princess

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 3:21pm PST 
Still leaking FROm gland not fir ... Sorry!

Harley's anal gland looked great yesterday. As a matter of fact we went to the vet to have her rechecked. Vet said she healed nice and her glands were empty.

She just had a little leakage from the actual spot of the rupture, so I was examining it and about a pea size amount came out. Is this normal for her to still be draining after this amount of time? I called the vet and they told me that they would have done just what I did, squeeze the contents.

Has anyone else taken this amount of time to heal? Could something else be wrong? She isn't red or in any pain at least when I touch it.

Vet tech said the vet would call me in the morning as it was right at closing time when I called.

Edited by author Wed Oct 20, '10 3:22pm PST

[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 6:15pm PST 
I would say that is normal...but I really am not sure
[notify]
Harley

Angel Princess

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 6:19pm PST 
Thanks bam a. I tried looking online but couldn't really find a timeline for healing.

I will let you know what the vet says in the am.
[notify]

Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 6:22pm PST 
Ok way to go
[notify]
Maebe

Treadmill- Junkie!

Barked: Thu Oct 21, '10 12:02am PST 
I know that ruptured anal glands can take a lonnnng time to heal, as long as it's not infected and she's not licking at it, I wouldn't worry!
[notify]
Princess

Scratchingdoghe- lp.com!

Barked: Thu Oct 21, '10 7:06am PST 
A ruptured anal gland will take approximately 2-3 weeks to heal. They can be a little frustrating however because, unfortunately, the gland continues to secrete from the tissue. It is essentially like a popped baloon under the skin of your dog and the pus has burts out through the skin at approximately 4 O'Clock or 8 O'Clock

90% of the time, it will heal with antiseptic bathing and antibiotic treatment in 2-3 weeks. You did the right thing expressing the buiold up. This will help the drainage and speed healing.

Occasionally, the damaged gland need to be resected surgically. Even after healing, it may become a problem in the futue as the damaged gland is still present.
[notify]
Harley

Angel Princess

Barked: Thu Oct 21, '10 7:16am PST 
thanks guys!!

Great info.

She seems to be doing fine today. The vet called and said to watch her and make sure it doesn't get infected. It was empty today so that makes me happy! dancing
[notify]