GO!

Ear Vasculitis?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sun Oct 10, '10 11:57am PST 
A good few months back i noticed a large ( ish ) crusty and rock hard lump at the tip of Ty's left ear. I thought it may be a scab from scratching/flapping his ear from an ear infection he had around the same time. Anyway, i decided to monitor it and see how it went and with one thing or another i never managed to get him to the vets. A few weeks ago i noticed that the lump had gone and in it's place is a small patch of hair loss. However there is now another lump that has been there for about a month right next to where the other one was. When Ty flaps his ear it occasionally bleeds but i don't think it's a hematoma. It's really hard, quite nasty to touch/feel and has kind of made the top of his ear quite hard. I'm taking him to the vets this week.

Here is a picture of it, although not great.

Crusty.

I'd never heard of Ear Vasculitis but it does sound very similar to what Ty has. Any ideas?

Edited by author Sun Oct 10, '10 11:59am PST

[notify]
Sam

Is it time for- my nap yet?

Barked: Sun Oct 10, '10 2:01pm PST 
Sam had something very similar but I'm not sure if it's exactly the same. His looked more white. We were told not to worry about it by the vet unless it became severe- it went away after we switched to a grain-free fish-based kibble.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Mon Oct 11, '10 10:34am PST 
A guess would be that the original hard bump may have been a sebaceous cyst which are very common on ear pinna (ear flap) because they tend to be oily and therefore contact sebaceous glands. A sebaceous cyst happens when the sebaceous gland becomes impacted and the sebaceous material (usually white chunky oily feeling gunk but can be black or dark too) starts to build up causing a hard mass under the skin. These are benign growths and usually pop or are reabsorbed on thier own. They are almost like very large pimples but can be very large in size (IE I have seen them as big as small limes on some dogs). If this cyst burst on its own it could cause some crusty irritation in the fur and it Tyler was scratching it could have caused a crusty dry "hot spotty" type thing on his pinna.

If he allows you I would try shaving the area to see if this is a scab or open wound.

In general ear vasculitis is more commonly seen along the tips first then as the tips or edges begin to die it moves inward. From what I can tell this looks like its in the middle which makes it pretty unlikely to be vasculitis.

Some links -->
Diseases of the Pinna (medical) This has some other ideas and causes of irritation on pinna like fly bite or tick or other common irritations or allergies.
Sebaceous Cysts
[notify]

Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Oct 12, '10 8:23am PST 
Thanks for the info Leah. I have him booked in for Friday afternoon.
[notify]
Lincoln

I have no off- switch

Barked: Tue Oct 12, '10 5:20pm PST 
My vet suspected Lincoln had this with his ears. What would happen is the very tip would crack split and bleed. I never did get him tested as chose not to, as this only happened to mine in the winter. I think it was like a type of frost bite or something. He hasnt had it since being on raw....

It could be ear vasculitis yes. But I dont think it is
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Wed Oct 13, '10 6:06pm PST 
Ty eats a natural, hypoallergenic food so i don't think it's diet related or allergies.

And just as i book the vet appointment, the lump/scab starts reducing/flaking off. On inspection today i noticed another patch of hair loss and when i tried bending his ear flap a bit ( which is hard because it's so stiff ) i think it looks more scab like and sitting on the surface of the skin. I still think a vet visit is worth while though seen as the last one disappeared to before this other one grew next to it.

Edited by author Wed Oct 13, '10 6:10pm PST

[notify]
Lincoln

I have no off- switch

Barked: Wed Oct 13, '10 6:16pm PST 
Yeah, I never suspected it was diet related anyway. Could it be fly strike?, could he of wacked it on something? Let us know what the vet says. If mine gets that again this winter I will be bringing him in to get it looked at.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Oct 15, '10 10:40am PST 
Just a quick update -

It's a suspected yeast infection. Ty's ears are very dry with thickened wax and debris in the ear canal. The vet took a skin scrape and i will get the results on Monday. She suspects that the scabby lump is caused by Ty shaking his head so often and scratching his ear. However, i may have to ask her about that again on Friday when we have our follow up appointment as that surely wouldn't explain why he has hair loss there. Anyway, i have something to flush his ears out with twice a day and anti inflammatory type meds which are also used in helping get rid of yeast infections.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Fri Oct 15, '10 11:25am PST 
I suspect she thinks the hairloss is due to trauma. Scratching and shaking can cause the hair to fall out and have trouble growing back. Hopefully you can get this cleared up!
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Oct 19, '10 8:20am PST 
The vet phoned back with the results.

It's a "kind of" yeast infection and he may need to be put on a special diet. She will discuss the results in more detail on Friday but with the mention of special diet, it's making me think she's suspecting allergies.

I thought this was just a simple ear infection frown

The ear cleanser and drops are removing built up wax, that's a positive. But he made himself bleed quite a bit earlier with his scabby lump thing frown It ended up on his head and everything and he came to me, rested his head on my arms and just stood there looking depressed as ever.
[notify]