GO!

Why Won't Her Hair Grow Back

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

ClaraSue - Rest In- Peace

It's my way or- the highway.

Barked: Mon Aug 30, '10 1:17pm PST 
ClaraSue turned 11 this month and has been having some health issues. In early May, she was shaved on her chest, left side and belly for a medical procedure. It's been over 3 months now and the hair is not growing back. There is a little peach fuzz in a few areas, but the rest is just as smooth as the day it was shaved. The vet said that it should come back in before winter, but we live in Arizona so she doesn't grow a thick coat. Has anybody had this happen and might her age be a factor?
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Mon Aug 30, '10 5:15pm PST 
A number of health problems and medications will prevent hair growth but honestly in a compromised (sick) pet it can take 6-9 months for a full coat to regrow.

Health problems that cause coat and skin issues
Hypothyroid
Cushings
Pyderma's
Fungal infections
anything affecting the immune system or the endocrine system
Kidney failure

Medications that can affect hair growth
Steriods especially prednisone
Azothioprine as well as many other immunosuppresants
Allopurinol
Chemo Therapy agents
[notify]
Zoie

45 Mile Per Hour- Couch Potato

Barked: Mon Aug 30, '10 8:19pm PST 
Have ClaraSue tested for possible thyroid problem as that can be a cause of hair not growing back. I have had lots of experience with retired racing Greyhounds having that problem when they retire from racing and become a house pet. Their diet is not great when then are racing, a high protein gruel i call it as it is mainly wet and no kibble and then they are crated sometimes in small crates where there rears can get rubbed down by the crate. Putting them on a good food when they are adopted is a big help but sometimes the hair does not grow and they have to go on thyroid pills which usually will clear up the problem.

Good luck.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Sep 1, '10 6:05am PST 
She WAS taking Prednisone for awhile to help with her medical problems but has been weaned off it for about a month now. And I do believe her thyroid has been checked as well. She was tested for so many things to find out why she has been coughing, losing weight, and being so lethargic.
[notify]
Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Wed Sep 1, '10 6:30am PST 
The pred can keep the hair from growing back, give it another month.....
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Thu Sep 2, '10 4:56am PST 
So, have they figured out the cause of all those symptoms that you listed?
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Thu Sep 2, '10 10:36am PST 
I suspect the prednisone caused the hair to strip making her have trouble regrowing the coat. This is a common side effect of oral steriods. I'd give it another 4-6 weeks or maybe longer for a full coat to return.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Sep 2, '10 7:02pm PST 
The vet, at first, thought she had Valley Fever because those are the symptoms and we live in Arizona. But after 3 blood tests and just as many x-rays they weren't sure what she had. This went on for months and in the meantime, a tooth broke so she went in for surgery to have it removed. While she was under anesthesia, I gave permission to have a lung biopsy done and it came back that she had allergic bronchitis. She's been on two separate treatments of prednisone and I have a supply on hand if she starts with the hacking cough again, but I hate to use it because of the risks involved and her change of behavior.

But, I noticed today that more hair is growing back in patches so maybe being off the pred for awhile is helping. She's very sensitive to cold weather so I hope it grows back fully before the temperature dips.
[notify]